Chapter 21

Please read to the end of the author's note. I'd like to hear your opinions.

~~~~

The golden rays of the morning sun glared through the open window of Emperor Li FeiHong's chamber. Jin WangShu stared at his lover's sleeping figure; wheat coloured skin peeking out from white sleeping robes and ink black hair fanning across the silk sheets. The younger man tucked himself against Li FeiHong's chest and closed his eyes. It was moments like these when he wished the world would stay forever the way it was, so that neither of them would have to separate. He listened to the steady rhythm of the other's breathing, and for a brief second, forgot about the news regarding the noble consort that he had yet to deliver.

At last the emperor awoke, his eyes making out the bleary form right next to him. Not realizing that the younger man was awake, he took the time to admire the general's beauty. He was normally too shy to stare so openly, so he seized this opportunity. Unfortunately, the latter's face was hidden from his angle, and FeiHong was unable to see properly.

"You're awake?" Jin WangShu asked, voice still rough from sleep.

Li FeiHong immediately closed his eyes, not because he was avoiding the general, but more so because he did not wish to get out of bed yet. Morning court was always boring and the emperor was dreading it.

"Li-gege?" The nickname sounded almost foreign coming out of Jin WangShu's mouth. It suddenly just sounded so... juvenile, and he couldn't help but fight the desire to twist his mouth in disgust. "FeiHong?"

The emperor's eyes snapped open and he frowned.

"What?" He asked, a trace of annoyance seeping into his voice.

Jin WangShu let out a breathy chuckle. "If you're still sleepy, just say so. I won't bother you anymore if you wish to rest."

"I'm awake," Li FeiHong replied.

The general gripped the side of the blanket as he opened his mouth to reveal the news. He'd originally planned to tell the emperor the night before but they had gotten distracted instead, opting to entangle themselves in a passionate night of lovemaking. And who was Jin WangShu to refuse? It wasn't like he was practicing celibacy or anything.

"About the investigation," WangShu began, sweat beginning to gather on his palms, "are there any updates?"

"A man named Huang Sheng was involved, he was the perpetrator." Li FeiHong replied and hesitated before continuing. "However, it's hard to believe that he would do what was done according to his own will. I will need to investigate more thoroughly before coming to a concrete conclusion."

"You may cease the inspection. Someone has confessed to the crime." Jin WangShu interrupted.

The emperor's brow raised in surprise. "Who was it? Why would they confess so easily?"

Jin WangShu cleared his throat and let out a small cough, trying to find any way to stall time. Instead of continuing, motioned for Li FeiHong to sit up. The latter complied, but eyed the general suspiciously.

By now, one might have thought that there would be nothing else to distract the emperor with. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, Jin WangShu had mastered the skill of distracting others (or so he thought). Without much of a warning, he plopped himself down on Li FeiHong's thigh, facing the other man. The emperor shot WangShu with an unimpressed expression.

"What is it?" Li FeiHong asked impatiently through gritted teeth.

"Will Li-gege promise not to be rash in making decisions if Shu-er reveals who it is?" Jin WangShu began batting his eyelashes and pouting.