Chapter 14

On that day, an investigation was ordered to take place. Poisoning the emperor's concubine (especially while she was with child) was an unforgivable act. Almost immediately, the emperor's guards began their search, rummaging through many palaces and residences while the people present at the play were locked within the room.

Not long after the physician and doctors began treating Mei SuJie, the unborn baby was declared dead. Outrage rang out among the court, while other consorts and concubines hid their smiles behind their sleeves. They feigned shock and devastation, but their eyes were cunning and revealed that they were secretly glad that concubine Mei was no longer carrying a potential second prince.

Everyone within the room was searched, but there was no trace of poison on any person. They waited for hours until an agent burst into the hall.

"Your imperial majesty," The agent kowtowed. "The perpetrator has been found." The man produced a pouch of poison from his sleeve. "This poison was found in general Jin's Sen Lin Residence underneath the mattress! When searching the room earlier, we found this same poison in concubine Mei's tea leaves."

Mei SuJie turned to her cousin with tears in her eyes.

"H-how could you?" She sobbed, then let out a loud wail.

Meanwhile, Jin WangShu was as shocked as every other person in the room. He stumbled back as guards advanced toward him and let out a shout as he was jabbed in several of his pressure points. The general was then brought to kneel in front of the emperor.

Although Jin WangShu was unable to move, his thoughts were running at full speed. He couldn't fathom why his cousin would go for such measures to eliminate him. Sure, he knew that Mei SuJie disliked him, but he had truly underestimated the harem's jealousy.

He of course knew that the true culprit was concubine Mei, her asking him to get her tea had already been suspicious enough. It was extremely unlikely that the tea had just happened to be poisoned.

All of Mei SuJie's actions finally made sense to him.

Li FeiHong stared at Jin WangShu in disbelief. The emperor was aware of the fact that he was expected to deliver justice.

The punishment for poisoning the emperor's wife was death.

This was something that everyone knew.

"Your majesty," The same agent interrupted Li FeiHong's thoughts. "This humble servant must admit that there was however, something rather suspicious about this whole ordeal."

"Speak!" The emperor ordered quickly.

"Some of my men smelled a trace of perfume within the residence... perfume that was not found in Sen Lin, and perfume that general Jin does not wear."

The agent swallowed.

"Actually, one of my men had recognized this perfume's scent to have been especially potent in Bai Dou Residence."

Concubine Mei let out a small gasp that went unheard by most people.

"Is this agent of your majesty's accusing me of poisoning myself to get rid of the baby?"

Seeing the concubine's teary eyes and flushed cheeks, the agent immediately began to backtrack.

"P-Perhaps it was someone residing in Bai Dou Residence that had poisoned concubine Mei."

Suddenly, a loud sob was heard within the hall.

Without further warning, Yu Yan (Mei SuJie's servant girl) began wailing.