Chapter 15

Li FeiHong sat on his throne, hand on his cheek and his head down. Dark circles appeared under his eyes and his skin seemed to be paler than what is used to be. His lover was slung over the armrests, most of his body rested on the emperor's.

"Li-gege, tell your Shu-er why you look so distressed."

Li FeiHong stroked Jin WangShu's head affectionately. "The Arabs refuse to negotiate, diplomacy has not won them over... I think, a war will approach soon."

"Is that really a surprise though? Li-gege, you have me and the other generals. China does not have to worry about its land. I will bring back to you another victory."

Concerns laced the emperor's features. "I do not wish to see you injured. I do not want you to leave for another few years."

The smile on Jin WangShu's face disappeared as quickly as it came. "You could always seek comfort in your harem while I'm gone, can't you?" His voice was smooth but extremely bitter.

Li FeiHong stiffened. "WangShu..." His tone had a sort of warning in it, as if warning the other man not to cross a certain line. "Let's not talk about it."

Jin WangShu smiled. "Of course, your majesty."

He got off the emperor's lap.

"I just remembered that I have several errands to run. Your majesty, please excuse this general."

Before Li FeiHong could intervene, Jin WangShu had already walked off.

The emperor felt as if he had been dunked in a bucket of regret. His heart felt heavy and his number of burdens grew.

~~~~

"You! Lift your feet up more, you're stumbling around like a chicken!" Jin WangShu yelled at one of his soldiers.

The soldier grumbled and muttered under his breath. "I have a name..."

"What did you say?" Jin WangShu descended from the raised platform, a fiery aura surrounded him.

Other soldiers all parted to make way, aware of their general's bad mood.

Jin WangShu walked up to the soldier who had talked back to him. His strides were smooth and unhurried, but the stern expression on his face effectively scared the soldier.

"I— I said... that I have a name."

Without a warning, the phoenix general smacked the outspoken man with the back of his hand.

"A war is approaching." His voice was deadly calm. "I'm teaching you how to survive, how to fight, and you're concerned about your name?" Then, Jin WangShu smiled as if nothing had happened. "I apologize, but I have forgotten your name along with many others, and I do not wish to ask for it. Now lift up your feet more, or you might as well die before the war. What an honourable death that would be!" Jin WangShu chuckled.

The other soldiers all stared at their general, not having ever witnessed such actions from the constantly smiling man.

The soldier who had been scolded was a proud man. He could not stand to be belittled in front of so many people. Not stopping to think about his actions, the soldier rushed up behind Jin WangShu and thrusted his training sword forward.

Other soldiers began to yell for their general to evade the attack, but it soon proved to be unneeded.

Jin WangShu whipped around and evaded the attack, then proceeded to strike the disobedient soldier's pressure points. The latter yelped in pain and fell to the ground, the sword he was holding fell to his side and was promptly kicked away by the general.