Chapter Seventeen: Cheat Code

Lea POV

My eyes flutter as I keep hearing someone saying my name over and over again. I'm listening closely as the familiar voice begins to fade in louder and louder. It's Tay. "Lea Lea wake up, baby." I'd know who's southern smothered voice that was anywhere. I know she's smacking me now because I feel strong repeated taps on my left cheek.

So I start using all my strength to open eyes and keep them open. Tay stops hovering over me once my eyes open. She sits up next to me. "Wow, what in the hell was that Lea?", she asks. I look at her as I slowly begin to sit up. Her face is full of concern. I'm trying hard to gather myself. But I'm still a little discombobulated.

What Tay just told me replays in my mind and hits me hard all over again. I make a realization. I look at her and I admit to her, "I've never fainted before." I have so many things running through my head right now. The fact that Steven cheated with who he cheated with and where he cheated never left my psyche. But now this. I mean come on?

I guess it was too much stress. Learning that the man I spent so many years loving, even through betrayal after betrayal, has finally has dealt me the ultimate one. He knocked up one of "them". There's no running from it anymore. My marriage is officially over. I look Tay in her eyes and she surprisingly has tears in eyes.

"I'm so sorry Lea. I shouldn't have told you like that...", she tells me as a tear drops from her eye. I reach towards her face and wipe away the tear. "I just couldn't get it out my head.", she explains further. "Tay you have nothing to apologize for. I appreciate you telling me. I guess it's just that I've been trying for years. You know? And also because of which woman that's, you know."  I'm having difficulty even saying the word.

I'm trying my best to explain that there are so many reasons why I felt so overwhelmed. But by her expression I can tell I'm failing so bad at my attempt. So decide to I just say it. "But please don't feel bad or blame yourself for anything. Those two are the ones I'm upset with not you." The liquor and weed are probably behind her reaction so I'm not tripping over that. I just wish I had my regular Tay here at the moment. I could really use her comfort right now.

She looks down towards the bed. I saw her facial expression before she did. There's more she hasn't told me. "Tay what is it?", I ask. She doesn't respond. "Tay.", I say softly. "There's more.", she says confirming my suspicions. "Zahara said she told Steve about us, when he started questioning her. Lea she also told me he's the reason you lost your job. Well I am but you know what I mean...."

I rub my forehead and sigh. Anger is now pulsating throughput my entire being. I don't think I've ever been this pissed in my life. And Tay is still throwing herself a pity party. I need her back to normal ASAP because I'm definitely not in the mood to try to console her. Not today, the devil's already gotten into me ear and I'm trying my best to stay up out of prison.

Maybe it's best to let her sober up. "Go to sleep, baby. We can talk more when you wake up, ok?" She looks as if she has a quick mental debate with herself. This is right before I see Tay hurry and lay down. She then turns over. I then hear a muffled, "Mmmhmm, baby. Night." I stand up and stay there for a moment looking at her back. I then  just shake my head. "Don't worry about me, I'm just, fine.", I think sarcastically. I mean what in hell is wrong with her.

But then I just let it go because something else drifts into my head. I now know how I can occupy my mind until she wakes up. I know going back to sleep is definitely out of the cards now. So I grab Tay's Bible and I head towards the living room. I place the Bible down on the table. I then sit down and open it up. But instead of flipping straight through to my usual passages, as I thought I would, I decide to just start and skim though it.