Chapter 16

"Stiles, you can't be serious!" Scott exclaims while his best friend emerges from his garage with two shovels and tosses them into the back seat of his Jeep. "Scott, I have to know, alright? I have to. The police didn't find the other half of the body last night and I'm going out of my freaking mind thinking about it."

"Okay. Okay, but doesn't that mean they'll be out there again tonight? We almost got caught yesterday," Scott tries to argue, anything to get him out of digging up a grave and possibly becoming a murder suspect. Him and Stiles don't exactly have a clean record when they're constantly showing up at crime scenes. "I don't know. But if they are, it won't be in the same place. They'll look somewhere else."

"Fine. But what about Derek, what if he catches us?"

"He doesn't even live there. Plus, we'll see the headlights coming up the drive before he sees us," Stiles replies, shutting down the werewolf's last argument. Scott sighs and walks around the Jeep, landing in the passenger seat with a huff.

The ride over is silent, Scott sulking about getting dragged into this once again, even though he drags Stiles into a lot more dangerous scenarios. In hindsight, Scott has no room to be complaining at all, but something doesn't feel right.

"Alright," Stiles exhales, tapping his fingers anxiously against his steering wheel. The headlights to his Jeep serve as a spotlight on the grave, Stiles' stomach twisting at the sight. Derek isn't a murderer, Stiles tells himself. "This is just a really, really shitty coincidence," he whispers out loud this time. "Let's just get this over with," Scott says, climbing from the Jeep first.

Apparently, digging up a grave is more of a workout than Stiles initially anticipated. He wipes sweat from his forehead with the sleeve of his flannel, watching Scott check their surroundings again.

"This is taking too long," Scott states, turning to Stiles with worried eyes. "Just keep digging." Stiles brings his shovel back down, hitting something that isn't dirt. "Wait. Wait, I think we found something," Stiles announces, bringing his friends attention off the driveway once again. Realization settles into the pit of Stiles' stomach. Scott sighs and starts digging with his hands instead, they've already come this far.

"Sc-Scott?" Stiles stutters, tripping backwards before pulling himself out of the hole and away from a dead...dog? "What is this? I thought we were digging up a human body?" Scott squints down at the animal, tilting his head up to look at Stiles. "I think it's a wolf." Stiles wills himself to study it again, something makes him feel uneasy at the familiarity.

Scott climbs out as well, sighing as he surveys the dark area surrounding them. "I guess I was wrong, I'm sorry," Scott apologizes, patting his best friend on the back, "Help me cover this back up." The werewolf begins throwing dirt back onto the wolf, but Stiles focuses on something completely different. "What are you doing? Come on," Scott says hurriedly, the feeling that something bad is going to happen increasing dramatically.

"Do you see that?" Stiles asks, pointing to a loan flower a few feet from the grave. Scott glances at it quickly, then does a double take. "Is that wolvesbane?!" Stiles doesn't answer. "What the hell is Derek doing with wolvesbane?!" Stiles slowly makes his way over to it, plucking the small plant from the ground with a rope tied around its roots. He takes a deep breath, forcing himself to pull more of it out. It takes him in a circle, a spiral, actually, until he's out of rope. He looks down at the pile in his hands in confusion.

"Stiles..." Scott trails off, wide eyes glued on the dead body. "What?" He walks back over to Scott, paling at the sight. His mind races with explanations and memories, the real world fading around him.

"Stiles? Stiles!" Scott shouts, patting the other male on the cheek after shaking his shoulders. His eyes slowly open, a view of the starry night before Scott's face comes into focus. "Are you okay? You fainted."

It was real.

Stiles suddenly pushes himself further from he hole by his feet, retracting his legs and pulling them up to his chest. "No. No, Derek wouldn't—he couldn't—" Stiles swallows thickly. Scott only gives him a sympathetic look, "I'm sorry, man, but you know how this looks."

"You don't understand," Stiles whispers, unable to blink the image of Laura from his mind, "That's Derek's sister."

"His what? Damnit, Stiles, we have to go!" Scott jumps to his feet, attempting to pull Stiles with him, but he doesn't budge. "Stiles! Someone is here!"

"Laura...she was a-a werewolf," Stiles utters to himself, not even registering his best friends panicked voice, "I-is Derek?"

"Stiles!" A different voice snaps, bringing him to. Stiles slowly turns. "Dad? How did you—" The sheriff immediately pulls out his phone with a tracking app open. "You started disappearing late at night. I thought—" Noah pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs, "I don't know what I thought."

"I'm sorry," Stiles whispers weakly, wrapping his dad in a hug, mostly because he really needs it right now. He knows his dad will come to the conclusion soon enough. They're on the old Hale property and have found the other half of the missing body. Noah sighs again and holds his near-crying son.