Chapter 28

Stiles doesn't know what's more exhausting: running back and forth between two werewolves for information or not actually finding any of the information useful.

Besides the fact that Scott and Derek have been searching for the alpha separately, Stiles has been the middle man. He knows he should tell Scott that he's also working with Derek, but he's afraid, and he hates that. He hates that he's afraid of his best friend lashing out on him because some deranged alpha werewolf wants Scott to kill. And that's why he needs Derek.

Derek pauses in the window, halfway through when he spots Stiles sitting at the edge of his mattress, face hidden behind both hands. He glances at the headboard, flashes of the last time he was here surfacing. Stiles was horrified at the idea Derek might not make it that night, he was there for the werewolf, despite everything. His resolve for the human is wearing thinner everyday they spend together.

"Stiles," he starts, unsure of himself, "Are you okay?" Clearly startled, Stiles' whips around toward Derek, shoulders sagging. "Fine," he mutters, rubbing a hand through his messy hair. "That was a lie," Derek states, forcing his muscles to unfreeze and sit next to Stiles on the bed, "Tell me."

"Tell you?" Stiles laughs humorlessly, "You want me to tell you what's wrong, Derek? Everything! It's you, it's Scott, it's my dad, and-and I can't even remember the last time I actually got any homework done. We haven't accomplished a god damn thing and—it's too much!" The human exclaims, all muscles tense as his mind continues to spiral.

Derek watches hopelessly, suddenly coming to the insight as to why his family forced Derek to keep their secret from Stiles all those years ago. The supernatural world is no place for a human, because it restricts them from being human; they're sucked into this life without the advantages being a shapeshifter has.

"I'm sorry," the werewolf finally murmurs, "You don't have to do this. You shouldn't have to." Stiles wants to yell—scream, even—how wrong Derek is, at this point, there really isn't a choice. He knows about werewolves, and he can't just ignore that, he can't just pretend everything is normal when the knowledge gives him a responsibility. The dismal expression makes Stiles' anger run cold, and he sags against Derek. Instead whispering, "Don't you understand? I do have to do this, for both you and Scott. It's just...sometimes I don't know if I can."

They sit like that for minutes, quietly, until their phones simultaneously ping. The pair give each other a quizzical look before sitting up properly to check the message.

"It's from Scott?" Stiles more of questions, why would he be texting Derek as well? "It says to meet him at the school," Derek finishes, standing along side Stiles. The werewolf's face softens for a moment, but Stiles already knows what he's going to say.

"I'm coming," he declares, brushing past the other male for a hoodie, "If he wants both of us there, it must be important...or a trap. Either way, you're not going alone. Come on."

It's a quick and silent drive to Beacon Hills High School, and everything around them is still.

"Is that Jackson's Porsche? What the hell is he doing here?" Stiles mumbles to himself. This is definitely suspicious now. "Look," Derek nudges him and points to the door, the chain broken. "...should the alpha be a concern I have?" Stiles utters, glancing around for any movement.

There's a deep growl, immediately alarming Derek. "I would say yes," he confirms, grabbing Stiles' arm and running towards the door. Stiles doesn't have to be told to run, so if werewolf senses say danger, he's gone.

The death grip on Stiles' arm loosens just as they reach the school, Derek's hand being torn away from the human. Stiles slides to a stop, nearly tripping over himself. He reaches out for Derek, being lifted away by a black figure.

"Derek!" Stiles screams, his brain switching to fight, rather than flight. He sees the beta be thrown before everything is dark and he's tumbling down onto tile floor.

He frantically looks around. Lydia, Jackson, and Allison are all staring down at him. Stiles pushes them being here to the back of his mind, leaping to his feet. The door is chained from the inside now, and Jackson yanks him away from undoing it.

"What the hell are you doing?" He demands, "You're going to get us all killed!"

"Derek is still out there. I have to—I mean, I can't leave him out there with—"

"With what, exactly?" Lydia cuts in, "What is out there?" They haven't seen it. They still don't know.

"I don't know," Stiles lies, slightly calmer than before, "It was too dark." He won't be the one to drag them into this, or be the one who exposes Derek and Scott.

"So you want to run out there with no plan? You really do have a death wish, Stilinski," Jackson scoffs. Stiles clenches his jaw, Jackson might be an ass, but he has a point, he's know use to Derek dead. Maybe if he has enough time to create some sort of weapon to use against the alpha, or is he finds Scott, maybe he could help. Speaking of... "Where's Scott?"

"We don't know," Allison tells him, "Did he message you too?"

That can't be good.

"Yeah," Stiles sighs, "He did. For now we should just find someplace safe."