3) A Monster's Lullaby

The circus was finally empty, Escabond and Riley had left to go get some pizza for the crew. Ronnie sat inside their trailer that was illuminated by a ceiling light. The young girl sat on the couch while the news was playing on the TV, Ronnie was drowning out the noise as their thoughts began to drown them and take them out of reality.

Miles sat in the tree he was in earlier, Ronnie's trailer not too far from the tree- in fact the tree was exactly in between his trailer and theirs- he saw light slithering from the windows of Ronnie's silent trailer, something was bothering her and he knew it. Miles hopped down from his perch and made his way to the door, Ronnie usually played music- or practiced guitar- at this time of night but there were no loud guitar riffs, no loud singing, the trailer wasn't vibrating like it always does whenever they had their speakers on. Miles took a deep breath before mustering up the courage to knock on the door, three soft taps, he heard the faint sound of the TV. Ronnie doesn't usually watch the news at this time...

There was no answer, Miles huffed and got ready to knock once again only to have the door fling open quickly. There stood Veronica in her pastel kitten pjs, her hair was a mess and her black eyeliner was smudged underneath her eyes. She tilted her head up just to lock eyes with Miles, "Miles," her voice sounded heavy, something was indeed wrong, "What's up?"

"Uh..." the boy fiddled with his fingers as he mumbled and searched for the words. He couldn't bring himself to look into Ronnie's eyes, his legs would feel like cooked noodles whenever he was alone with them. Ronnie waited patiently, their face showing no signs of anger or annoyance, if Miles could just open his mouth and tell them... They were the only person Miles could talk to...

"I'm going to take a guess," Ronnie spoke softly, "I don't want you to stress out about not finding the words." she flashed him a soft smile. Miles nodded gently with apologetic eyes. Ronnie crossed her arms against her chest as she leaned against the doorframe, head tilted with concentration. This made Miles think about the time they first met, when he was recruited to this circus...

---

 "Everyone here is very polite," Escabond said with a hand on Miles's shoulder, "I'm sure you'll fit right in!" Miles nodded politely as he was taken into one of the tents, there were about three people in there already- somewhere around his age. The three young individuals acknowledged the man's presence with a gentle nod, Miles was still feeling uneasy. Escabond didn't even bother with introducing him to the others since he wanted them to find the answers themselves.

"Now," Peter Escabond patted Miles's back, "Make yourself at home my boy!" he took his leave. Miles helplessly watching the man leave, a little rubber ball hit his head, he retaliated and turned in the direction it came from. There stood a young man with a sturdy build, he was tossing the ball up and down, he didn't look very friendly. 

"What's your name?" the man asked, his tone of voice made Miles uncomfortable.

Miles didn't respond, he just looked down at his feet, this angered the man and he walked towards him. The man roughly yanked Miles by the collar of his shirt, the boy's feet dangling 3 inches off the ground, "What are you, mute?" the man growled, "Answer me!" Miles could feel a breakdown coming on, he tried to hold in his tears as this brute glared at him.

"Leave him alone." a voice chimed in, the two other people in the room were on their feet, "Can't you see he's stressed out as it is?" Veronica scolded. 

"Veronica," the snapped at the girl, "Mind your own business if you don't want a broken arm."

"Pfft!" the boy next to the girl, Veronica, snorted, "Please, David, don't make me laugh." the boy began to crack his knuckles. "We ain't gonna have a fight are we?" his eyes were simmered in bloodlust, what the hell is wrong with these people? David, the man harassing poor Miles, let him go and glared at him one last time before leaving the tent. Miles let out a sigh of relief and looked at the two who had just saved his hide, they seemed friendly enough.

"Don't mind him," the boy shrugged, "He's always like that but Mr. Escabond and Ms. Wheeler keep him in line. I'm Riley by the way," the boy extended his hand, "Riley Monroe." Miles looked down at Riley's hand, he nervously took it and shook it. Riley smiled and he smiled back. "What's your name?" the nice boy asked Miles who stiffened in his spot.

"Maybe now's not a good time to ask," Veronica stated, "It's totally fine man, we understand- we've been through the same situation- it takes time." Miles had taken a liking to this girl quickly. He looked at her with pleading eyes, Veronica couldn't help but smile. Riley shrugged and went back to his table where he was playing with his phone, surprisingly the tent had Wi-Fi out here. Miles watched as Veronica left the tent, she sat on a crate outside the tent only to be followed by the new kid. Miles took a seat next to her and stared at the ground, he was nervous and didn't know what to say to this girl.

"I'm guessing you don't talk much," Veronica placed her hands behind her and leaned back, "I won't force you to so don't worry. I don't want to stress you out or anything, plus you don't need to talk to communicate." she smiled. Miles felt himself become less tense, he blinked as he sat by this girl.

"How about I take a guess at what you want to say?" Veronica grinned, "Like a little guessing game!"

Miles nodded quickly, a small smile forming on his face.

"Hm," Veronica tilted her head, "I'm guessing by the fact that you're new here and that Dave gave you trouble.... You're wanting to know what's wrong with us. Am I close?"

Miles nodded shamefully, he knew it was rude to ask people about their mental states but he was no saint either.

"Well, it's a long story." Veronica responded, "Do you want to hear it still?"

Miles nodded again, Veronica took a breath and began to tell the story of this circus. 

All the performers here were either rejects from mental asylums, classified specimens- according to the government- or were rescued from a lab. The circus was a safe haven for people like them- if you even counted them as people- and treated them kindly. The circus allowed them to be around others without being shunned or hunted, it was their home. Veronica finished the story and sat there looking out into the horizon, Miles looked at his feet.

"What's so interesting about your feet?" Veronica teased, Miles went red, "Haha, I'm kidding. So any chance you wanna tell me who you are?"

Miles was silent yet again.

"Looks like I'll have to guess then," Veronica smiled, "Does your first name start with an 'A'?" 

Miles shook his head, and Veronica began going down the letters of the alphabet until she reached the letter 'M'. She began to piece the puzzle together by throwing out names that started with 'M'.

"Mark?" No.

"Matthew?" No.

"Max? Melvin? Marvin? Martin?" No, no, no and no.

"Mike?" Close.

"Moe?" No.... 

"Hm... Miles?" Yes! Miles began nodding his head happily. He smiled widely, "Nice to meet you Miles." Veronica grinned. This was the start of a new friendship....

---

"Judging by the look on your face..." Ronnie's voice brought him back to reality, "You're worried about something." Miles nodded, and clenched his fists, "Would you like to come in and talk about it?" Ronnie gestured to the couch and he nodded once again before shuffling inside, the door closing behind him. He took a seat on the couch, Ronnie took a seat next to him and positioned their body so that they were sitting face to face.

"Ronnie, I-" Miles began quickly, "I-I... I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine," his friend reassured him, "I promise."

"But you hardly mess up!"

"Is this because of the tightrope thing?" Miles nodded, "Look, Miles... I promise, I am fine." she placed a hand on his cheek and smiled warmly at him, he gazed into her eyes to see if she really meant it. She did. The sound of a car pulling up to the tent was heard, Escabond and Riley were back, "Ready to go eat?" Ronnie stood up with a hand extended for Miles to take. 

"..." Miles looked up at them then back down at their hand, "...Yeah..." he took their hand and the two of them walked out to the dining hall together.