5) We're Not Dating

The two friends sat at their makeshift table and finished their dinner, the time was 7:02 and the stars continued to shine brightly, the two had already finished their meal a while ago they were just sitting under the stars and relaxing while drinking their many cans of soda they had in their possession. Since May kept all the alcohol stored away safely the two friends decided to get drunk off of sugar, since it was less detrimental to their health and didn't taste like crap. 

From inside the tent, Riley and the twins eyed the duo sitting side by side on the grass. They seemed so peaceful and happy together, one would almost think that they were a couple- sure they did kiss each others cheek, they hung around each other a lot, they would do stupid things for each other- but they weren't. "Hey!" Riley jested from his seat, "You two should kiss!" the twins snorted at this. Both Ronnie and Miles jerked with embarrassment, Ronnie slowly turned her head to give Riley a death glare along with the silent, "Fuck you." she made a motion with her hand, showing him that she would kill him. 

Miles stayed silent and fiddled with his thumbs, he did have feelings for Ronnie but he didn't want to admit it. Riley continued to tease the two while Ronnie flipped him off and tossed an empty root beer can at his head to make him stop- it worked fortunately. Ronnie stared down at their root beer can, noticing that Miles had been dead silent, they opened their mouth to speak but was stopped mid-way by Escabond.

"Alright kiddos!" he chimed, "Get a good night's rest! Tomorrow we'll be on the road, you kids will be with me and May while the equipment and animals will be with Frank and Jim." Everyone listened as he stated the instructions. Everyone needed to be on their best behavior during the car ride, they were headed to Ashland Oregon which was about a three day drive. After the little lecture, Wheeler and Escabond bid the children goodnight and everyone was off.

---

"Good night, Ronnie!" Riley shouted from the door of his trailer.

"Night bitch!" Ronnie chimed cheerfully, "Night Wendy, and munchkins!" and with that their trailer door slammed shut and the lock was clicked. Miles sighed with exhaustion before locking his door, the boy strolled to his bathroom where his pajamas were neatly folded on the sink top and began to yank off his day clothes. He hopped into the shower and stood under the hot running water, "Veronica fell today," he mumbled to himself, "Could it be stress?"

After the boy showered and brushed his teeth he hopped under his covers and curled up into a ball, he yawned and slowly drifted to sleep. His dreams were clouded with the bloody and eyeless corpse of his younger brother, the same dream would torment him and then disappear only to lay dormant for a period of time. Miles stirred in his sleep, the corpse of his brother walking towards him, "It wasn't my fault," he said to the corpse, "I-IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!" he ran his hands through his hair, clenching fistfuls of it and screamed with tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Save me..." the corpse wheezed as it reached out for the boy, "Please big bro... Save me..." the corpse suddenly burst into flames before Miles's eyes. Behind the flaming corpse were bodies hanging from nooses, Riley was there along with Wendy and Ronnie.

"N-No!!!" he fell back, "AAAHHH!!!!" he woke up in a sweat, panting heavily as tears streamed down his cheeks. Miles kicked off the blankets and grabbed his flashlight on the night stand, he dashed out of his trailer and made his way to Ronnie's trailer. His heart raced with fear, by the time he got to the door his collar was already soaked with his tears; the boy began banging on the door as if his life depended on it. 

"R-Ronnie!" he choked as he repeatedly punched the door, "R-Ronnie!!" the door violently swung open, there stood a groggy Ronnie.

"Miles...?" Ronnie yawned as they rubbed their eye, "What's wrong?" she noticed he was crying, he was a mess, he quickly rested his face against her shoulder and began sobbing silently. 

"Ngh..." he whimpered and clutched at the bottom of her night shirt.

"Hey, hey," Ronnie rubbed his back, "It's okay, I'm here." she took him inside and cleaned him up. His hair was a mess, he refused to speak, he shook at every sudden movement. The scene of his friends' deaths had never appeared in his dreams before, it had shaken him up real bad. Ronnie made him a cup of mint tea, he took it carefully while turning his head left and right with anxiety.

"Do you want to stay here for the night?" Ronnie sat across from him at the table, "You can take my bed and I'll take the couch." Miles began to protest by shaking his head violently.

"N-no." he peeped, "I'll take the couch..."

"Miles," Ronnie sighed and stood up, "You're the guest here, take the bed and I'll take the couch." there was no point in arguing with Ronnie- especially when all they wanted was sleep. If Ronnie was sleepy, they would get their way with no questions asked.- they lead him to their room and placed him on the bed.

"I'll be on the couch if you need anything." Ronnie mumbled before leaving, "Sleep tight." and that was the last Miles saw of them that night. Now, this type of situation happened frequently and both have gotten used to the fact that Miles would always come running to Ronnie- well, only Ronnie was used to it- that there were a seat of clothes for Miles in a box that hid in a closet, there was an extra toothbrush for him, an extra towel and extra blankets. The only person the boy felt safe around was her

People would think they were dating... Who knows...