11) Pillow Forts

It was getting late and Escabond decided to stop the RV for the night, "The others have either stopped at a hotel or somewhere along the road to rest," he announced, "Now I know it's been a long day but try to get some rest." He smiled and bid the children goodnight before he tucked a sleeping May in. Everyone went to their respected rooms, Ronnie stayed in the living room while Miles made his way to his room. The boy stopped and looked back, Ronnie was still as a rock, "Ronnie...?" He peeped.

"Huh?" Ronnie quickly turned their head in his direction, "Oh, I'm going." And with that they dashed to their room and closed the door gently. All the lights were shut off and everything went silent, slumber had taken everyone away.

—-

Miles couldn't sleep, he just stared at the ceiling in his room, he heard some movement coming from outside on the roof. The boy kicked off the blankets and approached his window, the shuffling on the roof had stopped for a minute only to restart again, Miles opened his window and slid the upper half of his body up to the roof to see what was there. Low and behold, Ronnie was perched up there, hanging from the corner of their lips was a lit nicotine free cigarette. Peter and May banned cigarettes- with nicotine, due to the addictive factors- but here was Veronica, the circus rebel, smoking a lavender and mint herbal cigarette. They had a hand in their hair as they focused on the ground with great concentration, they didn't even notice Miles's presence, "Ronnie?" Miles peeped from his window, Ronnie quickly turned their head with surprise only to see Miles's head peeking from the edge of the roof.

"Miles?" Ronnie stuttered, taking the cigarette from their mouth "Did I wake you? What are you doing up?"

Miles shook his head and slithered out of his window to crawl towards his companion, he curled up next to them and held his knees to his chest like he always did. The scent of lavender and mint stung his nose- due to the menthol in mint leaves- yet it was soothing, Ronnie sighed and placed the cigarette back between their lips, "You wanna tell me why you're up at this time?" They asked, avoiding eye contact with Miles.

"I couldn't sleep," Miles responded as he tried to read Ronnie's body language, "Then I heard you shuffling up here, which makes me wonder... Why are you awake?"

"Ain't it obvious?"

Miles shook his head.

"A girls gotta smoke their problems away." They chuckled dryly. Miles just stared at them with concern.

"Look Miles," Ronnie drew the cigarette from their mouth to let out a cloud of smoke, "I'm okay, at least I keep telling myself that." Miles remembered when a conversation like this came up in their friendship...

—-

Miles was sitting up in a tree- 'his' tree- and watching the birds fly by, Ronnie had just told him about their parents and how they were saved. Miles had ran off after Ronnie had told this story, how 'mature' of him, he couldn't face them without crying, "Hey!" he heard Ronnie's voice from beneath him, "Would you come down?" without hesitation Miles jumped from his perch to face his friend.

"It wasn't your fault," Miles peeped, "You didn't kill your parents."

"I never said it was my fault." Ronnie remarked, "Come on, Escabond's looking for us." they turned around and began walking but was stopped by Miles who had tugged at their sleeve. Ronnie turned to face him, he frowned as he looked into their eyes.

"What's wrong?" Ronnie tilted her head, "We'll be late."

"You're lying." Miles replied flatly, "You're lying to yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"You say that it wasn't your fault- which it wasn't- but you lie to yourself to fill the black hole in your heart." Ronnie furrowed their brow and yanked their sleeve out of the boy's grip.

"Don't be silly," They scoffed and started to walk again only to be stopped, "Uh, do you mind?" they yanked their sleeve yet again. For the third time they were stopped, they groaned and turned around quickly only to see the tears welling up in Miles's eyes.

"You say you're fine," he choked out, "You're lying to yourself."

"Miles," they sighed, "I am fine. Now let go, we'll be late-"

"I won't let go until you stop lying to yourself!"

---

"You've been lying to yourself all this time..." Miles finally spoke, Ronnie didn't respond. They only took a long drag from their burning cigarette, an ash falling from the tip only to be swept away in the night breeze, it was 1:03 AM. Two minutes had passed before Veronica finally took the cigarette from their mouth, bent it between their forefinger and middle finger and extinguishing the flame with a locket like object- a portable ashtray that they had purchased years ago, the inside of the lid held a family photo; Ronnie's family- before tossing the butt into the dirt below the RV.

"Well," the girl sighed, "It's late, we should best be heading to bed. Night, Miles." they swiftly spun around on their bottom before crawling to the ledge and grabbing it. With a jump, Ronnie swung through the window of their room before closing it. Miles looked out to the stars before making his way back to his room, it was now 1:05 in the morning, the boy sighed and threw himself on his bed as his eyes began to grow heavy with slumber. Everyone was fast asleep.

The next morning, Miles was wrapped up in his warm and fuzzy blankets.

"wHEn i WAs A yOUng bOY!" his eyes violently popped open as Riley's voice invaded his peace, "mY FATHeR tOOk mE INtO THE cITy tO sEE-" there was a loud thunk followed by Riley screaming in pain and disappointment.

"SHUT THE HELL UP," Ronnie's voice could be heard, "YOU WALNUT!" This was how every day on the road started for this crew, loud and boisterous but also amusing to watch.

Miles groaned and hopped out of bed rubbing his eyes, he opened the door to see Wheeler at the wheel and Escabond still sleeping on the couch. Riley and Ronnie had knives at each other's throats, Miles sighed, "Good morning..."