Chapter 2

"Scooby-doo!" Eli shrieked, the DVD clutched in his small hands. "Can I watch it! Can I? Please!"

"You actually found one he hasn't seen before?" Micah was stunned.

"Yeah," Nick chuckled. "Imagine that."

Eli piled into his dad's lap and practically shoved the movie in his face. "Can I watch it, daddy? Please?"

"Calm down, sport." Nick laughed. "You're gonna blow a gasket. Give it to me, I'll see if I can get it open."

"Yay!" Eli left the movie with Nick and hopped down, buzzing all over the living room.

"Holy cow," Nick smirked, digging the plastic off the DVD case. "Maybe we should give him a sip of the special cider." He grinned at Micah and they both laughed.

"Not," Wendy countered. "He's not touching that stuff."

"Might calm him down." Nick chuckled. It tickled him to get her goat.

"He'll wind down on his own."

Nick and Micah exchanged an amused, doubtful look.

"Do you need some help with that, buddy?" Micah nodded at the movie, grinning.

"Nah, I got it," Nick laughed. "Finally."

Eli skidded to an abrupt halt before his father. "Can I put it in?"

"Be careful with it?"

"Uh-huh."

"All right." Nick removed the disc and Eli took it carefully and carried it to the player and put it in. Nick looked at Micah. "We figured we better teach him how to do it himself as much as he watches Scooby-doo."

"Smart move."

"You going to open yours?" Nick indicated the unwrapped gift on Micah's lap. Nick had chosen a present from Eli but hadn't yet opened it, either. "Let's open them together. Ready. Set. Go."

Both men tore off the wrapping paper in a race to finish first. Wendy just stared at them, shaking her head while Eli giggled in glee.

Nick won. His prize—a Ferrari model car kit. He looked at his son skeptically and the boy laughed. "You wanted a new car," Eli giggled.

"Not one I had to build myself," he scowled, grinning. He pointed at Wendy. "This was your doing, wasn't it?"

She smiled sweetly. "Nope."

"Fibber." Nick scooped Eli into a half hug and kissed his head. "I love it, bud. But you're going to have to help me put it together."

"Okay," Eli grinned and wriggled in between Nick and Micah. "Open yours, Uncle Micah."

The wrapping was gone but the box was still closed. It was about the size of a hardcover book and weighed about as much. He removed the top of the box—and smiled. "Wow," he murmured and lifted the leather-bound journal from its bed. It was burgundy with his name—Micah Rose—embossed at the bottom and the cover embedded with delicate designs. "I love it."

Nick leaned over Eli and covered the boy's ears. "We expect you write an erotic novel in there," he whispered and grinned. "A true story."

Eli squirmed from beneath his dad's hands. "What'd you say?"

"Nothing your innocent ears need to hear," Wendy said. She pointed at the TV. "Your cartoon is starting."

"Yay!" Eli grabbed a pillow and blanket and flopped on the carpet before the television set, immediately engrossed in the adventures of Scooby-doo, Shaggy, and the gang.