Chapter 22

"Hey, everybody." Micah entered the house hand-in-hand with Graham. He wasn't at all worried that his family wouldn't absolutely adore the man, yet still, his heart pounded, and nervousness churned his gut. It took only moments to realize it was a good nervousness.

"Micah." Wendy hugged him and immediately turned to Graham as Micah made the introductions.

Graham smiled. "You must be the chef who prepared our delicious lunch. My compliments to you."

"Aw, you're too sweet."

Graham chuckled, and Micah replied, "He's just the right amount of sweet."

"Something tells me you would know." Nick winked at Micah then held out his hand to Graham. "It's nice to meet the man who finally captured Micah's heart." Nick didn't believe in discretion or subtly. "We were beginning to think you didn't exist."

"Nick," Wendy scolded lightly.

Graham scratched his temple and smiled. "It's all right. I'm just thankful he waited for me." He looked at Micah, his emerald eyes glowing. "I can't imagine what my life would be without him."

"Damn." Mark grinned, standing back. "You are sweet."

Micah laughed and motioned Mark forward, making the introductions. He looked around and told Graham, "There are a couple extra-special people I want you to meet." The words were barely out of his mouth when Eli blew into the room, still in his footie pajamas.

"Uncle Micah! We was waiting for you!" He scrambled up into Micah's arms and hugged his neck. "Santa came last night!" he exclaimed and pointed at the Christmas tree and the piles of gifts.

"Oh, wow," Micah chuckled. "Think he left any for me?"

"Of course." Eli giggled and rolled his eyes—then suddenly realized there was a new person in the house. He looked at Graham and blinked. "What's your name?" No shyness whatsoever.

Graham smiled and shook Eli's hand. "I'm Graham."

"I'm Eli."

"I know." Graham smiled, a shadow of sadness dusting his eyes as he added, "Sal was my dad. He told me all about you."

Eli grinned. "I liked him." His smile faltered. "Daddy says he's in heaven now."

Graham nodded. "He is."

"Today is Jesus' birthday," Eli said then scrunched his face thoughtfully. "Do you think your daddy went to his birthday party?"

Micah's heart knotted as a smile spread across his face. Graham squeezed his hand and laughed lightly. "You know, I never thought about it, but I bet you're right. I bet they're having the biggest, best birthday party ever."

"Cool!" Eli squirmed out of Micah's arms and went to the tree and mounds of presents. He looked at Graham uncertainly, his small face falling a bit. "I don't think Santa knew you would be here."

His concern for others was heart-wrenching and brought tears to Micah's eyes.

"I have lots," Eli told Graham. "I'll share with you."

Micah rubbed his eyes and noticed the other adults getting teary-eyed as well. When Graham spoke, emotion thickened his voice. "That's very gracious of you, Eli, but Santa actually visited my house last night, too..." he looked at Micah, his eyes swimming, "...and brought me everything I asked for."

That made Eli happy. And Micah, too. He cleared his throat. "So, where is our baby angel?"

•●•

It was love at first sight.

The moment Wendy brought the baby out and Graham took her in his arms—his heart was gone. The joy and adoration on Micah's face as he watched Graham with the infant, assured Graham that one day—perhaps in the not-too-distant future—he and Micah might have their own little bundle of joy. For most of his life, he hadn't let himself think about having a family. His issues seemed to work against such a notion. Then. But now...everything was different, and it startled him just how much he wanted this life that Nick and Wendy had built for themselves.

Graham held Mary while the others opened their presents, in no hurry to give her up. When Wendy took her to lay her down for a nap, Graham reluctantly let her go.

"You are going to be a great dad." Nick grinned at him. He glanced at Micah and winked. "Hopefully before too long."

"Nick," Micah groaned and looked at Graham apologetically. "They think it's my duty provide cousins for their children."

Graham smiled and kissed him softly. "Understandable. You are the uncle."

"I like him." Nick nodded emphatically, and he and Mark laughed.

Eli made his rounds, showing them each and every present that Santa brought him—which was a lot. He finally drifted away to actually play with the toys and Wendy returned.

"She's out," Wendy told Nick with a sigh. "I love that little angel, but babies are exhausting."

Graham chuckled. "Well, anytime you want a reprieve, just let me know. I'll be happy to babysit."

"I like him," Wendy exclaimed and the other laughed. "What?"

"Nothing, dear." Nick kissed her.

Sitting back on the sofa, Graham drew Micah against him as he sobered a bit. "Just before my father passed away," he murmured. "He told me that he had the perfect gift for you." He stroked his fingers through Micah's hair. "He always wished he could repay you for all that you did for him. And he said he found it—the one thing that he believed you wanted more than anything else." He shook his head, sadness in his eyes. "But he didn't get the chance to tell me what it was, or where he'd put it. I looked everywhere. I wanted so much to bring it to you. My dad was so happy to be able to give you something back." He swallowed thickly. "I'm sorry I couldn't find it. I would have loved to be able to give it to you today."

Micah gazed at him, tears forming. "The one thing I wanted more than anything else..." he whispered and glanced at the others. All of them teared up and smiled.

"What am I missing?" Graham murmured, at a loss.

Micah laughed softly and touched his face, his tears thickening. "You," he whispered.

"What?"

Swallowing thickly, Micah kissed him soft on the lips. "You were the gift that your dad wanted to give me...the one thing I wanted more than anything else." He smiled, his throat working. "My own true love."

•●•

Micah gazed at Graham as the truth of the gift sank in. Micah wished with all his heart he could thank Sal for the gift of his son. But he believed the old man was looking down on them now and saw inside Micah—all the joy and love and gratitude.

You got your miracle.

A warm numbness seeped through Micah as he began to understand the full truth of this miracle. When he had asked for his miracle last Christmas Eve while standing outside the little diner...God had given it to him that same night—when he met Sal.

He looked at Graham, his throat knotting and eyes filling.

It just took a little while to get here.