Chapter 12- Aladdin

"I'm doomed!" I cry, sinking down in my seat. The cafeteria is loud and smelly, but right now, I don't mind it.

"Relax," John assures me. "I'm sure you'll find someone."

"Easy for you to say!" I snap at him. "You're going with one of the hottest girls in the entire school."

"Okay, then let me say it," Phillip says from the other side of the table. "You'll find someone."

"Well, you've got someone too!" I protest. "You just don't know her name... or what she looks like... or if you'll even like her..."

"Well," Phillip says heatedly, "Why don't you go talk to Jasmine and ask her?"

I laugh. I laugh so hard my stomach hurts. "Talk to-to Jasmine? She's way out of my league! Plus, she's probably already going with someone."

"No harm in asking, right?" Flynn says. "Speaking of which, I need to ask someone."

"Why don't you ask Rapunzel?" John suggests. Flynn glares at him.

"She's-no! She's just a friend, and it's not like I like her- that is- it's not that she's not cute. She is- um- well- oh, shut up." Flynn stammers. The entire table is laughing.

"Right," I say, and I see a flash of teal out of the corner of my eye. "Oh, look, there's Jasmine. I should go ask her."

I walk over to where she stands in the lunch line with her sophomore friends. The redhead, the blondie that Phillip apparently tried to ask, and the girl called Cinderella.

"I've never been in the lunchline before." I hear Jasmine remark to the redhead. I'd seen her somewhere before. But where?

Never been in the lunchline before? I thought. Was that really possible? I watch as Jasmine goes through it and looks at all the food repulsively. At least she had good taste.

"Sir, you can't take that with you," a voice says. I turn and see the lunch lady talking to a kid. He was so thin I could see his ribcage through his shirt. "You don't have enough money in your account."

"S-sorry," he says, putting the apple back and moving on.

"Poor kid!" I hear Jasmine exclaim. She takes the apple and begins to walk away towards the kid. I move closer, trying to stop her.

"And just where do you think you're going, miss?" The lunch lady asks. Jasmine turns around, wearing a shocked expression.

I had to do something. "Sorry, Ms. Farr. This is my friend. It's her first time in a lunch line," I lie. "You'll have to excuse her."

"What?" Jasmine says, but I drag her away into a closet then shut the door.

"Are you crazy?" I hiss. "You can't just steal like that."

"I'm sorry," Jasmine stammers. "I didn't know."

"It's alright," I say, holding out my hand. "Call me Al."

Jasmine takes my hand and shakes it. "I'm Jasmine," she says. "Thank you for helping me."

"Oh," I say, taken aback. I really hadn't expected her to say that. "You're welcome."

"Hey!" someone shouts from outside, banging on the door. "Who's in there?"

"Quick!" I whisper to her, leading her out another door. Jasmine follows me, and I lead her outside into the football field. "We're probably going to get detention."

"Really?" Jasmine asks, her wide eyes scared. "I can't go to detention!"

"Well..." I say, thinking. "We could just avoid the teachers for the rest of the day."