+chapter one+

NOW PRESENTING + 7:13 AM, APRIL 11

He hadn't been expecting to be slugged in the gut right as he rounds the corner, but Yoongi supposes that there isn't anything he can do about it and he simply goes down. Falling backwards, the thirteen-year-old winces his tailbone hits the floor hard. He doesn't even bother to look up when a kick is delivered to his side. Yoongi already knows who they are, and he already knows that everyone else will just walk by and let the two do whatever they please with him. Whatever they please is usually punches and kicks. Sometimes slaps to the face if they want to spice up the beating.

"We surprised you, didn't we?" one of the bullies asks. Yoongi can practically hear the smirk in his voice. "Didn't expect us to be waiting for you?"

The other bully grabs him under the armpits, hauling him up and leaving his stomach vulnerable to a hit. Yoongi almost yells out in pain when a fist once again comes into contact with his body, doubling over with a pitiful expression on his face. "You guys planned this out nicely. No teachers," he croaks out, hearing the younger bully laugh as he rakes his nails agonizingly slow over Yoongi's face.

"That was all me, hyung," he spits out. Letting Yoongi drop to the floor again, he delivers a swift kick to his knee. Yoongi feels his stomach begin to numb from the pain. It's definitely going to leave a garish bruise. "Now shut up and take it like a good boy."

Yoongi barks out a laugh at the bully's choice of words, and is reprimanded with another kick, the toe of the older bully's shoe connecting with his temple. His entire head instantly feels as though it's being spilt open. Yoongi curls into a ball and forces a stubborn grin onto his face as the two boys take out whatever pent-up anger they have on his battered and bruised body. He doesn't drop his grin until he's left alone to sniffle quietly to himself, propped against the rough brick of the school.

NOW PRESENTING + 7:32 AM, APRIL 11, cont.

"Come on Kookie, we're gonna be late!" Taehyung whines, dragging his friend down the sidewalk. They have three blocks left to go and no idea what time it is, which leaves Taehyung to panic. "It's probably already noon!"

Jungkook laughs, purposefully slowing down, which earns a glare from the older boy who is bouncing anxiously, the mop of dark hair on his head bouncing with him. They had left on time, so there was no way they could be late. Jungkook busies himself with peering at a dog through the wooden fence on their right. "The sun isn't above over heads yet, stupid. It's not lunch time 'cuz my tummy isn't making noises. Calm down!"

"But if we're late—"

"—Namjoon with be upset at you," Jungkook finishes. "Blah, blah, blah. You tell me this everyday and make a big deal about it. But we're never late to school! And your boyfriend can wait a little bit longer if he really wants to see your beautiful face."

Taehyung huffs, letting go of his friend's hand and crossing his arms defensively over his chest, trying to look as intimidating as possible for a ten-year-old. Although Jungkook is a year younger than him and a grade below him, they'd still somehow became the bestest friends ever, and there wasn't a single teacher who would dare to separate them at the lunch table even though they're supposed to be eating with their own classes. No one wants to repeat last month's tantrums.

"Joonie isn't my boyfriend," the older mumbles, but nonetheless, he fixes his hair carefully as the school comes into view. "And besides, my mommy says it's a sin to like boys, so I'm not allowed to have a boyfriend. She wants me to marry a princess. A girl."

The younger makes a face. "Ew!" he exclaims, shaking his head violently. "Nuh-uh! Girls are gross! Do you know what you get if a girl touches you? It's a really bad disease."

"You get sick if a girl touches you?" Tae asks in surprise. Jungkook nods solemnly, sighing to himself.

"The girls in your family can touch you and you won't get sick," he explains as Taehyung listens intently. "But any other girls get you sick. So you can't marry a girl! You can run away and come live with me, and then you can marry a strong, handsome prince. Okay?"

"Okay!" the older squeals, smiling brightly, but his smile turns into a deep frown as he glances off toward the school. "Uh-oh."

Jungkook tugs on Taehyung's sleeve in confusion. "Tae, what's wrong?" He's surprised when the older rushes across the lawn and toward the side of the school, but he quickly follows, moving his little legs as fast as they can go. Jungkook doubles over panting once he catches up to Taehyung, and he finally realizes why the older had been so eager to get across the lawn. There's a teenager with fluffy black hair and a bruised face leaning against the wall. Taehyung is crouched in front of him.

"Yoongi-hyung, you got hurt again!" he says, the worry clear in his voice. Yoongi-hyung pats Tae's head with a grimace.

"Chill out, kid. I've told you a thousand times, I can take care of myself," he grumbles, his deep voice shocking Jungkook. He must have hit puberty already. Then the past-puberty teenager looks up to meet his eyes, making the nine-year-old gasp in surprise. He has one of the most beautiful faces Jungkook has ever seen.

"Holy cow, you're so pretty!" he shrieks, rushing forward to gently cup his cheeks in his hands.

The boy looks at Jungkook in shock and surprise while Taehyung is laughing hysterically. "He can't keep his hands off pretty things," he explains. "And yeah, hyung, you're really pretty!"

Going slightly red in the face, the teen carefully pulls Jungkook's hands off his pale skin. "You're a charmer in the making. Who are you, punk?"

"My name is Jeon Jungkook, not punk, and I'm nine!" Jungkook says eagerly, holding up nine fingers with a proud smile. "What's your name?"

"Min Yoongi. Hyung, to you."

jay park is the korean
equivalent to america's
justin beiber. except he's
better than justin beiber.