+chapter nine+

NOW PRESENTING + 10:19 PM, JANUARY 15

"My boss let me bring home some food from the restaurant!" Taehyung yells as he kicks his shoes off at the door, sending Jungkook and Namjoon into a frenzy. They pull out plates and cutlery and have the table set before Yeontan can even bark to welcome Taehyung home. "Holy cow, guys, calm down! The food won't disappear."

"But there's always the possibility that you could feed it all to your fat dog, and then there's none left for us," Namjoon points out.

Taehyung gasps in horror. "How dare you call Yeontan fat!" he exclaims, ready to defend his beloved pet. "Tannie is the healthiest dog in the whole wide world! I've made sure of it."

"He's just saying that we want some of the food," Jungkook says, elbowing the oldest in the ribs. He doesn't want Taehyung to get offended and refuse to give them food out of anger. "Look, the table's all set. Put the bag down so we can eat!"

Jungkook had decided not to tell Taehyung and Namjoon about meeting up with Yoongi. He thinks it would be a better surprise if he invites the older over while the two are at work, and then they can come home and scream and sob about how much they had missed him. That would make great video footage.

The youngest regrets a lot of things, and a lot of those regrets have to do with Yoongi. He wishes he'd been smart enough to realize sooner that his story about being a superhero was made up. Jungkook also wishes he'd gotten to give his hyung a present for his fourteenth birthday. Yoongi had moved in December of the very same year they'd met, and he never got to say goodbye. He supposes that maybe meeting Yoongi at the piano store had given him a chance to make him happy like he'd always wanted to. Yoongi had always looked so bitter and gloomy, and Jungkook could see at the cafe that his hyung still doesn't smile often.

With a final playful glare directed towards Namjoon, Taehyung sets the bag of food in the middle of the table, letting his friends tear it open and pull out the various takeout boxes stuffed inside. "I feel like the only reason you two come anywhere near my apartment is for free food. You're both horrible friends." Jungkook smiles sheepishly, stuffing a large bite of bulgogi into his mouth and nearly moaning at the taste. He hasn't eaten since breakfast. "You pigs better clean up after yourselves."

"We love you, Tae Tae!" Namjoon coos, and Jungkook frowns at the gentle blush that creeps along Taehyung's cheeks. Of course, Namjoon doesn't notice. "Aren't you gonna eat with us?"

Taehyung takes a seat on the couch, holding up a box filled with chocolates. "My boss is in love with me, and I don't feel like having a proper meal tonight."

"Your boss?" Jungkook chokes out, eyes wide. "You're kidding!"

"Am not," the second oldest brags. He lifts his chin up in pride. "Turns out I'm cute. He was all like, 'I hope you like chocolates, cutie,' and I was like, 'Damn right I do.' And then he laughed. It was one of those laughs where you can tell they're into you, so I think he's into me."

Namjoon cheers, lifting his glass of water into the air dramatically. "To the seducing powers of Kim Taehyung!"

"My seducing powers aren't working on the person I really want," Taehyung murmurs bitterly, shoving three chocolate pieces into his mouth at the same time.

"What was that?"

"I said my seducing powers are really powerful, so you better watch out."

Namjoon chuckles, Taehyung sighs, and Jungkook frowns. He just wants his two best friends to make out and get together. He also wants Namjoon to grab Taehyung's ass, because he'd once heard Taehyung mumble something about how hot that would be.

The youngest jumps in surprise as his phone begins to ring. Swallowing his food, he's shocked when he reads the name displayed on the screen.

YOONGI-HYUNG

"Hey, hyung," Jungkook answers, turning away from his food so he can give the older his full attention. Yoongi must be outside if the honk of a car is any indication. "You need something?"

It takes a long time for Yoongi to answer, and when he does, his voice sounds strained. "Back at the cafe, you asked me to call you if I got hurt again, right?"

A feeling of unease washes over Jungkook. "Yeah, I did. Did someone hurt you?"

"If you're not too busy, would you mind picking me up at the bus stop in front of the piano store? The next bus comes in three hours, and to be honest, I don't know how to get home on foot. I always take a bus." The fact that Yoongi had ignored Jungkook's question makes the younger jump up from the table. He's definitely hurt, and he's just trying not to make a big deal out of it.

"Of course, hyung," Jungkook says, ignoring the curious gazes and whispered questions of Taehyung and Namjoon as he slips on his shoes and glances around for his coat. Where had he put it? "I can be there in twenty-or-so minutes. Is that too long?"

"No, that'd be great."

"Just hang in there. I'm heading out the door now." He rolls his eyes at Taehyung who's holding up a piece of paper with a messy who is it???? scribbled onto it in pen. As he closes the door to the apartment, Jungkook hears Yoongi's voice again.

"I'm sorry I called you," he says quietly. "It's just cold, and the bus won't come for three hours and I didn't want to get in a taxi 'cuz those people could be murderers and you would never know, and I also don't really know how to get home 'cuz I told you I always take the bus."

Jungkook can hear Yoongi's breathing get louder as he rambles. He must be scared and in pain. "I need you to calm down for me, hyung," Jungkook murmurs, racing down the stairway and onto the main floor. Through the glass door, he can see small snowflakes beginning to fall onto the concrete outside. "Deep breathes, alright? I'm almost to my car. Just sit there and wait. What did the person do to you?"

After taking a few deep breathes, Yoongi answers, sounding significantly more calm. "Not person. It was three tall guys," he tells him. "I'd set up a meeting with them to sell some lyrics, and it went south, like they always do. Maybe I'm too scrawny so they think I'm easy to beat up. Which I am, but... yeah. You think I should just give up on the lyrics? It's useless to keep trying."

"Do you sing, Yoongi-hyung?"

"A little, but I rap."

Jungkook smiles at the thought of his cute hyung rapping. That's something he needs to hear. "Stop trying to sell your lyrics. Use them yourself. Clearly they're good if the people take them without paying."

"My voice isn't good enough for the songs. It never sounds good when I try," Yoongi protests.

"You rap for me sometime, and I'll tell you how good you are, okay? Tae, Joon-hyung and I all sing, except hyung raps," the younger says. "We could get together and look over your lyrics."

"I'd like that."

They sit in silence for a while, Jungkook driving and Yoongi sitting at the bus stop, until Jungkook speaks up. "I think you're voice is nice, hyung. It was nice when you were thirteen, too. You're probably a great rapper, and I can't even imagine how good your singing is."

Yoongi chuckles softly. "You're just a giant flirt, huh? You were trying to pick me up at the piano shop, and now you're complimenting me."

"I'm serious, hyung!" Jungkook groans. "And you deserve every compliment in the world."

"Whatever," Yoongi grumbles, but there's no rudeness in it, and they fall into a comfortable silence once again.

updates will be just
a little bit slower from
now on because i have
quite a few things to do
after school and on the
weekends.