~~~

Ray LaMontagne
"All the wild horses"

KNOCK, KNOCK the next morning Winona arrived at Luna's door unexpectedly.
Stumbling out of bed Luna answered with a long drowsy yawn.

" Huh??"

"Rise and shine, I come bearing gifts .... your breakfast."

Winona's morning cheerfulness was sickening. She was carrying a tray with a very green glass of juice, Luna prayed that the heavenly scented coffee washers.

" How are you feeling this morning? Any headaches or shoulder pain?" She asked concerned as she placed the tray down on the coffee table in the sitting area.

" Sorry I was not there when you came back around, but dear Nova informed me you met everyone... even our very cheerful Castor. Trust me, he will grow on you."

" Hmm, well I have a feeling he grows like a bad fungus you can't get rid of.
As for the painting ... I'm fine. Iv had worse falls then that." Luna answered as she took a seat eyeing up the freshly brewed coffee.

" Do you have regular fainting episodes?" Winona questioned with a frown.

" Only if I get very stressed or haven't eaten for some time prior."

Suddenly the darkly lit room was flooded with light, Luna jumped off the chair, shielding her eyes from the brightness, like a vampire trying to escape their ashy death.

"Give a girl a chance to fully wake up!" Luna moaned as the sudden light that filled the room.

" You definitely need more sun on that milky white skin of yours." Winona chuckled standing by the window where she had turned off the blackout glass.

Luna had no come back as her skin was so pale it seemed nearly translucent.

Winona handed Luna the tall glass of the green substance. Her face told Winona all she needed to know.

" Staring at it won't make it disappear! Drink it down. It is full of healthiness that will keep you full and build your system back up. You haven't eaten right for a long time, so when I know you are safe to eat full meals then you get to eat."
She took the coffee in her hand and sat down across from Luna her black thick brows arched with worry.
" If you hadn't fainted last night and eaten that meal, you might have died!! Refeeding syndrome is serious..." Luna cut her off mid-sentence.

" I'll drink the god damn juice if you just stop going on !! " Luna took a little sip of the juice and recoiled.

" GOD ... DAMN !!" She said disgusted " THIS SHIT WILL DEFINITELY KILL ME FIRST!!!"

As she protested the juice, her eyes fell upon the view from her glass covered wall, it was the only contemporary aspect of the wooden cabin accommodation she was given.
As far as the eyes could see was pure untouched wild rusty-colour which covered beautifully elevated mesas that were flat-topped hills but some up close were mountain size, it was clear they were created from natural erosion over time.
With each slow step Luna walked towards the window, she was lost within the view before her, the raw beauty was breathtaking. 
The cabin was right on the edge of a steep cliff edge, giving the glass wall a purpose to see the beauty.

" Welcome to Arizona Luna. Do not let her harshness throw you off, she is kind. As long as you listen to her heartbeat you will survive her cracks." Winona softy said from her seat like a whisper.

" I... I... have never seen such... I only know a life of snow" Luna couldn't get the words out, she tried but the marvel she gazed upon was powerful.

Both of them sat in silence for a small while and gazed out over the landscape. Winona told Luna tales of her native tribe and the wonder and connection they had with Mother Earth.
Suddenly they were interrupted by a rapid beeping that came from Winona. She muttered as she put her coffee down and reached into her beige cargo pants pocket and pulled out a small walkie talkie.

" Main Gate to W." A male voice repeats.

" Go ahead?" Winona quickly responded back.

" Arrival from L-Crei for subject 33." The line was cracking slightly.

With a disapproval click of her tongue followed by a deep sigh, Winona was clearly not happy with the unannounced guest.

" Okay, over and out." her early morning cheerfulness seemed to be dissolving as she placed the glasses back on the tray with a deep exhale.

" L-Crei research facility has sent over a doctor from their infirmary to do an examination and to do a few tests. Which normally doesn't happen so soon. But they mostly have a good reason."

Luna broke her gaze from the window and looked back at Winona, somewhat uneased.

"Nothing to worry about, trust me everyone has the same tests, they just like to know that anyone who takes part is healthy and strong enough.
The examination will be held at the main house in the library room. I will tell the doctor you will be with them in fifteen minutes. Is that okay with you?!!"

Luna nodded to confirm, with the click of the door closing she turned back around to the view before her as the morning sun began to peck over the horizon.

" I am Subject 33!" She said with a detachment to her own words.

~~~
After a short introduction with a young female Doctor called Gonzalez, who leads Luna into the study, medical equipment laid organized on a round table in the middle of the room, Luna sighted at the sight before her knowing she had a long day ahead.
The study was a cosy size and a small stone fireplace was in the far corner that gave the room a more focal point among the books, row after row, floor to ceiling of books, thousands, Luna never seen so many books in her life.
The smell of the musky old leather surprised her as she gently removed one after the other, first editions after first editions some dating back as far as the 16th century. All but a few were written in a foreign language she had never seen before.

" Who the fuck would want old smelly books that are written in an extinct language!" Luna's thoughts wondered at the bizarre book collection.

As she continued waiting for Gonzalez to finish setting up an uncooperative tripod, the whiff of a newbie doctor could be smelt a mile off.
"Residency program!" Luna mumbled to herself as she strolled around the rest of the room with a lack of enthusiasm for being there and for whatever stupidness was needed from her.
She noticed a tall window proudly overlooked the endless desert outside the compound, the view in itself was a work of art.
The horizon seemed to never stop. She was truly and utterly in the middle of nowhere any ideas of running may be out the window now.
An old telescope stood a jar of the window with few books scattered at the foot of it.
Glancing over her shoulder at Gonzalez, who was stilling trying to work out the tripod, she decided to play around with it to kill time.
Peering through the gold eyepiece, adjusting the focus lens and guiding the scope unsteadily along the horizon.
" Rock .... rocks and more rocks !" She jokingly thought to herself but something suddenly caught her eye... a raving cloud of dust dancing up from the ground, there was movement.
As Luna slowly followed the lingering dusty cloud, within the vile something was emerging... a herd of horse's, galloping at high speed, wild, free and untamed.
Their hooves pounding the earth as if they were racing the morning sun.
Wildlife disappeared after the cataclysmic wave hit, well whatever was a lift of any wildlife on earth, many animals were extinct even before the wave hit but the wave seemed to wipe them out completely, leaving no trace. So this was a treat to see for Luna as she never seen a horse with her own eyes, only in books.
Something else in the distance filled the eyepiece " A ranch house." Luna whispered to herself surprised to see anything else out in this baroness land.
It was a modest size, a few outbuildings still maintained and the main house that had seen better days but it overlooked a large pin that seemed to be some kind of training ring.
~~~
After a long few hours of an over the top health check. Gonzalez switched of the tripod off.

" You are free to go, Miss May." Gonzalez declared as she began to pack away the blood samples carefully into a medical zip bag.

" So, I'm cleared for the trial?"

The doctor cleared her throat as if she was unsure to divulge any information.

" Well ... I have to speak with the L-Crei board first before I can disclose any of your results Miss May."

Luna rolled her eyes with displease.
" For the love of god ... call me Luna. Miss May makes me sound decrepit! Do I have to keep reminding everyone."