[ 54 ]

valentina

a bouquet of orchids sits on the dresser of her makeup dresser, and her eyes furrow, appalled at the absurdity of it. there isn't a note, either—

"valentina," álvaro says softly, and she swivels around to face him, standing at the step leading inside of her trailer. his hands are shoved deep into his costume pockets; a forest green button-down and dark-wash jeans.

"what is this supposed to be?" she asks, irritation firing up in the pit of her stomach. "some sort of declaration of love?"

he looks exhausted, and she knows that sobriety can be difficult, but last night? that was overboard. he shrugs casually, but she can see the guilt in the way that he chews on his lip. "no, it's an apology. i never... i never meant to do that. i don't know what came over me. i was just angry with you and... i just needed a bottle or something, anything, to make me relax and i just couldn't have it and i know that's not an excuse... i just... this isn't easy. and i'm sorry for giving you shit. you and aurora did the right thing."

"it's okay," she says, yet doesn't know if she believes it at the moment. "i know you didn't mean to hurt me. you're the exact same as you were in middle school and high school."

"no, i'm not."

she nods in agreement, contradicting what she just stated. neither of them speak, and she feels the storm brewing inside of him, but it isn't thunder and lightning, it's just rain. "álvaro—"

"i'm sorry," he whispers, shaking his head and ducking out of the trailer before she can say another word.