[ 170 ]

chul

their heart thumps wildly in their chest.

darren is propped up on his elbow, to chul's left, his other hand by chul's head to support his weight. the two have been kissing for nearly an hour, allowing the sun to set and the room to get dark. darren and them have all the time in the world, and since they're roommates, it certainly is helpful.

"hey," chul says, pulling away to calm their tingling lips, running their nose along darren's cheek. their hands are still at their sides, unmoving. "when we get out of here, what're you going to study?"

darren's index finger touches chul's mouth, barely there. his voice is hoarse from not using it so long, and he doesn't make any attempt to change that. "i know it sounds stupid given my... past with my uncle, and with drugs, but... i want to go into social work. i want... i need to be there for the kids that didn't have anyone else. they need to know that they aren't alone."

"not with you," chul says. "with you, they won't be alone. i know you're going to do great things. you'll help them."

darren nods, but he doesn't seem to feel like kissing anymore, so he settles on the empty side of the bed and watches chul with lidded eyes.