[ 116 ]

ivory

"i'm sorry," she says, sitting next to portia on her bed. she knows she's overstepping her boundaries, but it's either that, or she'll retreat back to her shell to hide for eternity. "i didn't mean to judge—"

"but you did," portia snaps, playing with the chain of her heart-shaped locket. "you didn't judge me for drinking but having sex is something you can't forgive? you made me feel guilty for me being comfortable with myself and my sexuality. i shouldn't have to pertain to your concerns just because you don't agree with my lifestyle."

"i'm sorry," ivory repeats, wishing she could backtrack due to the fact that she sounds like a parrot. "i have grown up with thinking only one way, and sometimes it's hard to believe that others haven't been raised the same way. i promise that i'm working on it. i'm not against what you do, really."

portia shrugs. "you are, though. i hope that one day you won't be. soon."

"i know, i promise i'll make it up to you. you're my friend, and i shouldn't have knocked you down, but supported you instead," ivory says. she glances at her hands but returns her gaze to the other girl's.

"let me know when you figure that out." portia opens her textbook, signifying the end of the conversation.