DAY ELEVEN

Mike couldn't help the smile that crept up his face as he spotted Eden down the hall. She stood staring at a patient's file, completely oblivious of the janitor who stood watching her. He didn't know what it was about Eden that not only managed to gain his attention, but to keep it as well.

Most likely sensing the presence of someone watching her, she turned so suddenly, it was too late for him to look away. And so, he stood there awkwardly as she approached, a smile creasing her face.

"Hey Mike. You're just the man I was looking for."

"I am?" His smile widened for whatever reason. It was certainly not because she said she had been looking for him, certainly not!

"Remember the north pole?" He nodded, remembering the day she took him to the spot downstairs with the massive Christmas tree. It had been the same day he had almost kissed. Ah, he had been so close, before her loser Fiancé showed up -he frowned. "Well, I was hoping you could help with the decorations. I mean it is not going to count as part of your community service and we'll have to work extra hours togethe—"

Working together equaled more time with her. "Sure!"

"Really?" She paused, frowning slightly. "Wow, that was easy. Anyway, I was thinking we could have three trees; there is white for a snowy Christmas and also to represent the North Pole because snow and the North Pole kind of go hand in hand, right? And then there's the traditional green, and finally, there's lavender to represent cancer."

Mike wanted to point out the fact that there were other illnesses in the hospital other than cancer, but he didn't think it would matter. Besides, three trees were more than enough. Perhaps even too much.

"Great, when can we begin?"

"How does tomorrow sound?"

"I'm all yours, doc."

"Oh, great then. See you tomorrow."

Disappointed they would not be spending time together today, he called after her retreating back, "Hey!" he called. She paused and spun around. "Want to grab a drink with me tonight?" Mike knew he didn't think his question through, or else, he would not have asked.

Why did he suddenly crave her presence?!

"Um... Sure, I guess."

"We could talk more about your plans and maybe I could throw in some more ideas," he quickly added, not desiring for her to read more into his request, even if he knew it meant more. If he was going to be honest, then he had just asked her on a date and was using silly Christmas decorations as bait.

She seemed more relaxed as she nodded.

What did you think, that she was going to be excited about spending time with you, when she has a rich, fancy -loser- Fiancé? He scoffed at his own foolishness and took hold of the cart. Turning around, he made to walk away.

"Mike?"

He paused and turned around. "Yes, doc?"

She smiled then. "I look forward to tonight." Turning around sharply, she hurried down the hall, leaving him standing there with a bright smile on his face. Maybe she was indeed excited about spending time with him.

~*~

She looked forward to tonight.

Eden could barely focus on her patients, her mind wandering to Mike more times than she would have liked to admit to. She looked forward to spending more time with him for she found, as she got to know him, that he was a likeable man -sad, and addicted to alcohol- but likeable.