DAY SIXTEEN

It must have lasted but a second. Two lips brought together in a passionless communion, borne out of a desperation to fill an empty chasm in his heart. Yet, it did nothing. It neither filled, nor widened the chasm. It didn't ease the pain in his heart. It didn't bring comfort. It was instead cold... No -he mentally shook his head- she was cold. Her lips pressed to his were cold. Her skin, as his fingers brushed her cheek, was cold. He was cold as well. Warmth didn't instantly race down his skin. His arms didn't itch to pull her close to himself. His eyelids didn't flicker shut.

He instead sat there, desiring to pull away as his eyes scanned her face. Thankfully, her eyes were closed, lest she caught a glimpse of the look on his face.

Just then, something moved, catching his attention. His eyes darted to the side just in time to find Eden standing there, her eyelids bulging, her hands slightly trembling. He watched the color drain from her face, and just as quickly, she bent down, taking herself from his line of vision.

Shame washed over him in that moment, forcing him to pull away and end the kiss.

"Mike?"

He tore his eyes from the line of cars that kept Eden hidden from his view, long enough to turn his attention to Grace, who was now blushing.

"I-um... Think it'd be best to get out of this cold." He wasn't sure he knew what to say other than that.

She nodded, and made her way around him, before taking hold of the wheelchair. His eyes remained glued to the line of cars, until Grace turned his wheelchair around and he could no longer see them.

He stayed in bed for several hours, thinking -his mind replaying over and over the moment his eyes caught a glimpse of Eden in that car park. He thought of the shock he felt, that was quickly replaced by a deep feeling of shame, and finally, remorse. It was remorse that kept him up all night. Remorse for kissing Grace, remorse for having Eden stand there and watch.

There was a part of him that scolded him for feeling that way. Why would Eden care about who he kissed? He had nothing to be sorry for, he was a grown man and could kiss whomever he pleased. Besides, Grace didn't seem upset about the kiss.

He groaned, placing his pillow over his head. He cared nothing for Grace's feelings. He only cared for Eden. He cared about how she felt having to stand there and watch him kiss a woman in public. He cared about the pain that sliced through his chest at the very sight of her. He cared about the sudden shame he felt.

Why did he care so much? He shook his head; he didn't dare think about the reason he cared so much because he was certain he wouldn't like the answer.

He wanted to see her...

He decided he wanted to see her that evening. He would see her and watch out for her reaction. For all he knew, she hadn't seen him kissing Grace. For all he knew, she hadn't even been in the hospital that morning. He however knew that the only way to get rid of the pain in his heart, was to see Eden.

But he didn't see Eden. Monday didn't come quickly enough, and when it finally did, Eden didn't come with it.

At first, he thought she was busy. Maybe she had a few patients to care for, maybe she had something important to take care of in the hospital. Mike didn't know what kept her away from him, but he hoped she would visit before the day was over. She didn't.

It was an entire twenty four hours without Eden. Mike didn't know when his hours began to feel dreadful without her in them, but he didn't think he could go another day without seeing her.

Hissing in pain as the nurse injected his arm, Mike fought the desire to growl as well. He was both in pain and frustrated with the thought of not seeing Eden today.