DAY NINETEEN AND TWENTY

Eden released a soft sigh, and leaned back against the car seat. Closing her eyes, she tilted her head to the ceiling as she tried to calm her pounding heart.

Eden, you might want to come down to the station, Mike's in custody.”

Henry's words from that morning echoed in her ears, as her fingers tightened their hold on the steering.

It was a miracle she got to the police station without running into a car, or a pedestrian. Fear clung to her, anxiety making it difficult for her to see the road before her. But she did get to the station safely, and now, she was seated in the parking lot, unsure of her leg's ability to carry her inside.

Her emotions were a mess. They tumbled over each other until they threatened to drive her insane, especially since she turned away from Philip last night. She turned away from him because she wanted to be with Mike. She turned away from him because she thought she might have a chance with Mike. She really, truly believed Mike could be a good person. Waking up the next morning to the news of his arrest, threatened to shake the very foundation of what she thought she believed.

Yet, she couldn't leave him in jail. She couldn't turn her back on him. She loved him, and because she knew she loved him, she was willing to help him.

Releasing her hold on the wheels, she opened her eyes. She pushed the door open and exited the car.

Each step she took up the station's stairs brought her closer and closer to Mike. And while her anxiety seemed to rise with every step, she kept moving, until she was walking up to Henry who had been waiting by the entryway.

“Hey.” He offered a warm smile, as he covered the distance between them, and pulled her small form into his over six foot one.

She leaned into his embrace for as long as she thought was appropriate, before pulling away.

“Are you okay?” He searched her eyes.

She shook her head. “What happened?”

“He got into a fight with Philip, your Fiancé.”

Eden's heart dropped at the news. “And Phil? Is he okay?”

Henry nodded. “Needed some stitches, but he's fine. He's not going to press charges because it'll most likely ruin his campaign. The bar owner has also agreed not to press charges because the dude owed me a favor and I called it in.”

Eden felt like a load had been lifted off of her shoulders. She was suddenly grateful Mike didn't have to face a judge, because she knew if he did, he would most likely serve the time.

“Thanks, Henry.”

He shrugged. “Judie speaks highly of him. Plus, I met him once and he seems like a pretty decent guy.”

She nodded and offered an appreciative smile. Henry took her hand and led her to a chair, before mumbling something about going to get Mike.

It felt like an eternity waiting for Mike. Eden's feet tapped nonstop as she considered Henry's words; a fight between Mike and Phil. Her mind couldn't possibly come up with any other thing being the reason for their fight, except her. And Philip, what would take him to a bar? She knew he hated places like that. She knew bars were for Mike, and not Philip. The only explanation to Philip being in a bar was that he went there looking for trouble. He went there —most likely tracked Mike there— looking for a fight. Perhaps her decision to walk away from him last night had been too much for his ego?

Deciding it was Philip's fault, Eden raised her eyes just in time to see Mike making his way toward her. His hands were handcuffed behind him, as Henry led him to the room. His hair was messy, his nose looked broken, and his old shirt was torn.