Health Code Violations & Strawberries

~Health Code Violations & Strawberries~

~¤°*°*°*°¤~

Theo was kind enough to tend to the rest of the customers until closing time. My mom and I sat at a table in the back corner, where we were allowed enough privacy for my explanation.

I only told her why I punched Craig, deciding to withhold the details about the past few years because it didn't feel like the right time or place for it. Doing it at home with both of my parents present seemed to be the better option...and I didn't have enough of a chance to build up the courage for it yet.

When my mom found out what vile things Craig said to me, she went on a rant about how lucky he was that she didn't hear him. I almost laughed when she said he used to be such a nice young man, but she continued that he was fortunate she wasn't his mom or she would box his ears and ground him for life. I let her finish before asking the question that lingered in the back of my mind.

Folding a napkin, I kept my gaze down and my voice quiet. "Do you think he's going to tell his dad?"

Her anger towards Craig vanished as her attention turned back to me. She took my hand and brushed her thumb over my knuckles that were still hurting. The pain was down to a dull ache though, thanks to Theo and the makeshift ice pack. I stared at the inflamed skin with mixed emotions while I waited on bated breath for her answer.

She understood the deeper meaning of what I asked and ordered gently, "Sweetheart, look at me."

I did as I was told with a weak smile, but it dropped when she flicked my forehead.

"Ow!" I exclaimed, rubbing at the sore spot while giving her a shocked look.

"Do you really think a teenage boy is going to run to his daddy and whine that a pretty girl punched him? Don't be stupid, Abby. He's probably going to claim his black eye was the result of a fist fight and say," she deepened her voice, "'You should see the other guy.'"

I scowled at her and muttered, "Gee, thanks mom."

She gave me a reassuring smile and her tone softened, "Don't worry. It's not like what happened before and it will never be that way again. You stood up for yourself and that's more important than a spoiled brat and his father causing us trouble." She lifted my chin when I looked down again and emphasized, "We will be fine. I promise."

Those were words I didn't even realize I needed to hear for so long. My mom made me stand up with her so she could wrap her arms around me in a comforting hug that only a mother could give to her daughter.

"Do you want to go home and get some rest?" She asked, patting the back of my head while my chin rested on her shoulder. "Theo and I can close up tonight."

"Actually, I was hoping to try out a new recipe. Can I use the kitchen after hours?"

"That would be fine. Just don't come home too late, okay? You've had a long day."

I squeezed tighter, "Thanks, mom."

"Yeah, yeah. Do me a favor though?" She pushed away and held me at arm's length to look me in the eye. "Please tell Theo to keep his shirt on this time. We have a health code to follow here."

I gasped, "Mom!"

She chuckled at my mortified reaction and winked, "I was young once too, you know." Then after a moment, she laughed, "Well, I still am! And when your father was in his prime, he was more of a troublemaker and heartthrob than Theo."

My lip curled up in disgust and it reflected in my voice when I said, "If you're going to be gross, go home and enjoy your time alone with dad."

Most mothers would probably be mad to have their child speak to them that way, but not mine. Nope. My mom wiggled her brows and said, "Good idea! Remember to clean up and lock the door when you leave."