Ch. 11

The days seemed to inch by painfully slow. Laila went about her daily routines almost robotically, her movements emotionless and dull but her mind filled to the brim with colorful thoughts of Hamza. She couldn't help but daydream at every chance she got, replaying the hug and every moment they touched. The weird thing was, even in her memories, he still managed to give her butterflies. 

She sighed dreamily into the mirror, adjusting her veil. She felt her hands once again itching to wrap it all the way around her face. Consciously, she looked to her door that was left ajar and listened for any noise. When she was sure no one was around, she took the long end of her hijab and brought it over her nose then clipped it on the opposite side of her face. Lowering her hands, she stared at her reflection.

The only visible feature were her eyes, and they blinked back in wonder. Her heart warmed up at the sight. She instantly knew that she loved it, every part of it. The mystery, the strength, the honor of being a display of Islam, proudly showcasing it on her own two shoulders.

"Laila? Deena and Zahra are here!"

Upon hearing her mother's voice, Laila quickly unwrapped the niqab. She wasn't ready just yet. It was a big decision that she needed to stick by and required a lot of faith. Ever since she woke up at the hospital, she had recovered fully, physically, but still felt a little lack of spiritual connection. Sure, she was praying all her prayers, but that was it. Nothing more. She could see a Qur'aan in her peripheral vision and felt a tug of guilt that she quickly shrugged off. She was going to go out with her two closest friends. Maybe another day. She'll eventually come around to opening it, sooner or later. Right?

The thoughts somewhat comforted her. Throwing her bag over her shoulder, Laila made her way downstairs. Her mother met her at the front door and gave her a quick hug goodbye.

"Be safe. And don't stay out with them for too long." She said, a worried expression on her face.

Laila knew her mother never liked Deena nor Zahra. She knew why but decided to ignore it. Just because they weren't perfect Muslims didn't mean she was going to quit hanging out with her high school friends. So instead of responding, she simply waved and jogged towards the blue Mercedes.

"LAILAAAAAA!" Deena jumped out of the car and met her halfway, engulfing her in a big hug. Laila laughed and wrapped her arms around her, feeling slightly surprised when her hands came into contact with her skin. "I've missed you so much, girl."

Laila pulled away to respond but froze briefly. It wasn't the fact that Deena was wearing a crop top but rather that in the most recent memory Laila had of her, she wore hijab. So, sometime in the 3 years that were blank, Deena removed it. Laila wondered why. Instead of asking, she smiled back. "I've missed you too." She wanted to ask why they didn't visit her at the hospital but couldn't bring herself to. She was sure they had their reasons. 

The car blared out a long honk, startling the two girls. Giggling, they rushed to an impatient Zahra. Laila slipped into the front seat beside her, leaning towards her to give her a quick hug. She was slightly relieved to see she was still wearing her scarf, albeit being extremely loose and open. How did so much change in so little time? Laila felt slightly awkward and distant as her two friends babbled and laughed the entire way to the café, talking about people and places she had no recollection of. Feeling left out created a bitter tang in her mouth and Laila found herself desperately trying to butt into the conversation, to be relatable. 

It felt like high school all over again.

They reached the café and the trio made their way inside, arms locked together. "We're like the three musketeers, back at it again!" Deena giggled as they made their way to a table. Once they sat down, Laila was relieved to distract herself with the menu, reading over every item.