Ch. 19

Laila stood at the mirror, studying her outfit. She opted out of the typical abayah that Saturday evening, and settled on fitted black skirt and a white blouse. As she wrapped the black scarf around her head, she admired the way the white silk clung to her waist. The outfit outlined every dip and curve of her body. It was definitely a new style of fashion she was going for. 

Grabbing her makeup bag from behind the mirror, Laila took her time tracing her eyes with the black kohl and then her lips a deep red. Upon hearing car honks, she quickly took her bag and ran downstairs.

Luckily, she didn't spot either of her parents as she raced out of the house. Zahra waved at her from behind the windshield. Laila slipped into the passengers seat, giving Zahra a quick hug. She looked behind her only found the backseat empty.

"Where's Deena?" She asked, fumbling with her seat-belt.

Zahra avoided her gaze as she navigated out of the neighborhood. "She's not feeling well today, I guess. You look beautiful, by the way!"

"Oh, thanks." Laila frowned. She and Deena hadn't spoken since the day she visited her. Laila tried to call her, but always got sent to voicemail. 

They turned into 105th Street and the mansion quickly came into view. Laila knew the address by heart now. Even the gate password. When they reached the front door, the group was already waiting for them.

Everyone exchanged greetings and hugs, except for Laila as per usual. She only smiled and waved, feeling a little out of place without Deena there. She was used to sticking by her side, feeling the most connected to her. But now with Deena absent, Laila was much too aware of the way Luke continuously stared at her.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" Laila hissed, gripping Zahra's shoulder. "It's about Luke." She felt that something needed to be said. Even if just for her own peace of mind. 

Zahra shrugged her off impatiently. "Okay, later. Let's get ready for the shoot. You're going to love it!"

Laila sighed and followed the group to the backyard. There were a few new men around the pool, setting up lights and backdrops. Farrah walked Laila through the usual routine, telling her to stay close and watch James work the camera for today.

"Take some notes," She said as she slipped out of her cover-up. The gold bikini she had on glittered in the setting sun. "And then next weekend can be your trial session. Oh, and here you go," she handed Laila a red cup.

Laila looked down at the yellow contents suspiciously. "What is this?"

"Just a drink. Relax and enjoy yourself. It'll help with your creativity."

Laila looked up and met Zahra's gaze from a few feet away. She was also holding a similar plastic cup. She winked at Laila and took a swing. Laila looked around and noticed everyone had cups, drinking and laughing amongst each other. Ashleigh walked up to her and giggled, bumping her cup against hers.

"Cheers." She grinned. "Come on, Laila. Don't be such a party-pooper. Drink!"

Zahra joined in, and started to chant. "Drink! Drink! Drink!"

They had begun to catch people's attention and in an attempt to stop a crowd from forming, Laila groaned in defeat and brought the cup to her lips, quickly downing the ingredients. The liquid burned her throat on the way down, sending a rush up her spine. The girls cheered as she lowered the cup, quick to place another full one in her hands. The excitement was contagious. 

"Back to work!" Farrah shouted.

Laila finished the second cup and pulled out the little notebook she brought along. She obediently trailed behind James as he snapped pictures of the two models. Ashleigh and Farrah seemed to be greatly enjoying themselves, posing near the pool and patio. Zahra was nearby, shouting commands. Luke wasn't doing much, she noticed. She wondered what his job was in the group. An hour in, he made his way towards Laila.

She noticed him approaching and groaned internally. "Hey, I'm going to use the bathroom," she announced in a slight slur to James who distractedly waved her off. Zahra had cut Luke in his tracks, talking to him about something. Laila took advantage of that moment and snuck into the house, snatching her purse along the way.

It was empty and Laila was lost for a moment. It didn't help that the drinks made her feel dizzy and nauseous. She still had to get used to the huge mansion. It felt too easy to get lost in. She decided to check upstairs and kept opening doors until she found a master bedroom.

"Finally," she muttered, relieved to find a connecting bathroom. She slipped inside and locked the door, sighing as she leaned against it.

"What am I doing?" She whispered under her breath. It felt weird. Wrong, even, especially since Deena wasn't there. And why did she accept that drink? She was usually stronger than that, uneasily swayed by peer pressure. Laila walked over to the sink and splashed water on face. She didn't want to be here anymore. She shouldn't have come. She needed to find a way home.

She was drying her face as she exited the bathroom and almost didn't notice the presence of someone else in the room.

------

A/N: Thank you all for the votes/comments! I appreciate every single one of them. ❤ Keep 'em coming! 

@PoopingPrincess <- Thank you for your constant support, sweetheart. 😘