Chapter Two: The Man I Fell In Love With

Hange enters my room along with Erwin and a bottle of brandy. I just finished braiding my H/C hair and slipped into a grey three-quarter sleeved nightgown that stops a little above my knees.

"I may have told Erwin about you calling off your engagement and the reason why," she shrugs and tries to look sorry. "He insisted on joining our girl talk."

Erwin chuckles. "You don't mind, do you Y/N?"

"Not at all." Except I do. I mean he's like an older brother to me and even though I'm the oldest of seven, I don't imagine anyone runs to tell their older brother who they're in love with. Oh well, after I get a couple drinks in me I'll be fine.

       "So tell me who is it that caused you to call off your engagement?" Hange is incredibly animated.

       "Woah, let's not just jump head first," I laugh, but desperately reach for the bottle and a glass.

"Fine," Zoe pouts. "Then tell me, I've always wanted to know why you joined the Scout Regiment. I mean you're a perfect fit for us. You have nine solo Titan kills and so many assists that we've lost count. You're determined and dedicated. Clearly, you're a fantastic captain, your squad would take a bullet or bite to the head for you, but what drives you, Y/N?"

Through her monologue, I've managed to toss back three drinks. Erwin even had time to go to his room and return with two bottles of wine and a bottle of whiskey. I guess when the Scout Regiment is on suspension we all let loose.

"The answer to your question is cliché, but I did it to spite my stepfather." Just the thought of that man makes my blood boil.

"Elaborate," Erwin chimes in finally becoming a part of the conversation.

"You guys really want to hear my 'tragic' backstory?" They both nod their heads. "Fine. Well my real father died when I was fourteen. He was in the Scouts, but unfortunately his death didn't come from a Titan. He got really sick and the doctors couldn't figure out what to do about it. He passed in his sleep one night. Not long after, my mom met Johnathan they married. I was talking with my mom about going into the Training Corps and becoming an MP and Johnathan went on a rampage. Once he calmed down he said that if I joined any regiment other than the Military Police he would disown me. Here we are ten years later, I'm 25 and he still hasn't disowned me, but that might change with me calling off the engagement. He made it very clear that Phillip was the best thing to happen to me because he would benefit from it."

"What did he say when you were promoted to captain?" Hange pours herself a full glass of wine.

I take the bottle from her. "He really didn't care. He was more disappointed that my squad was operating in Utopia and that I was over for dinner once a week."

"So wait, does he know you called off your engagement?" The commander asks. He's still nursing his first drink.

"I'm sure he does by now," I can't help but let out a small laugh. "I called it off the morning my squad left to come here. So it's not like I saw my family before I left. We said our goodbyes the night before. I'm sure a courier will show up in the next few days with a letter detailing how I've disgraced the family and how I should never return their home when I come back to Utopia and blah blah blah."

"Are you going to tell them why?" Erwin's blue eyes peer over his glass.

"Are you going to tell us why?" Zoe slams her hand down on the table.

Well I do feel pretty inebriated.

What the hell?

"Levi." I watch as their blank stares turn into wide eyes and confused smiles.