Chapter Four: Unexpected

One Week Later

~ Levi's Point of View ~

       I hear her familiar laugh lilt in through my open window and a well-known pain hits me underneath my rib cage. Looking over my shoulder, I see Y/N sitting with Eren and a few of the other new cadets. There's a horse-faced boy that seems to be clinging to her every breath and an androgynous blond who's eyes hold both wonder and horror as her lips move.

       "Tch." I grind my teeth and return to the documents on my desk. Ever since our talk the other day, I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. It feels like my desire for her grows by the hour.

       Knock. Knock. Knock.

        "Who is it?" I call out as I lay my pen down.

       The door opens, revealing Hange and Erwin. I can't help but roll my eyes in annoyance.

       "What is it?" I take up my pen and try to resume my work but with my lack of focus, all I can do is pretend to read over the monotonous lines scribbled indiscriminately on the yellowed pages.

"Levi, you've been cooped up in here for the last week," the blond commander sighs. He stands next to my chair, facing the window. "I know you're just going over the same papers and doing what you can to keep yourself distracted."

       "Look, I've had enough of your mopey attitude," Hange explodes. Her face is red and her arms are moving around animatedly. "You need to sack up and tell Y/N how you feel. It's the perfect opportunity. We don't have any missions. You two are in the same place. Make some magic happen!"

       I bolt up from my chair and slam my window shut. Y/N is sitting right outside and four-eyes has the audacity to start screaming things like that at me!

I see her and the new recruits look up with features resembling startled woodland creatures. "Next time you need help capturing a Titan, don't even think about knocking on my door."

"Whaaa—," she shouts, somehow louder than before. "Why would you say such a thing!? You know I can't do it alone!"

"Do you wear your glasses as a fashion statement? Were you unable to see that my window was open and Y/N is sitting outside? What would you do had she overheard your obnoxious proclamation?" I let out a deep sigh.

"Celebrated," she pouts. "The real question is, what would you have done?"

I can never understand this lunatic. "I'm not doing this. What did you two come by to talk to me about?"

Just as they are about to tell me, a loud commotion interrupts them from just beyond my window.

A Few Minutes Earlier

~ Reader's Point of View ~

"So you've had a total of thirty-five Titan kills!?" A young brunette named Sasha coos, her eyes alight with glitter.

       "And Levi's had only about twenty more than you," Eren says. He looks like a lovestruck schoolboy. "To think that I'm training under humanity's strongest soldier and alongside the Princess of the Scouts. It's like fate is setting me to up to be the best damn Titan killer!"

I can't help but laugh a little. He's got more spunk than anyone I've ever met. I mean, you have to be strong of mind, heart, soul and body to take on a position in the Scouts but Yeager is something else. "Don't tell Levi that I said this but with that power of yours, you could easily become the new and improved strongest soldier."