Getting the Axe

Thalos gripped his sword and scanned the cavern as he walked. He didn't know how many dragons were in here. There was only one way to go, but he was sure this place could hold more than one of those dragons.

He carried the bore meat over his shoulder as he walked. He wished he thought ahead enough to put the meat in a bag, rather than carrying it freehand. He was going to smell like bore, and that would only make him look tastier than he probably already did.

He stepped over and around the scattered crystals. How much were these crystals worth? Some of them were ginormous, and could make Berk a fortune. Johann would probably pay a high price for a necklace or embedded sword made of these crystals. They were really nice.

He walked for what seemed like forever, doing his best to keep his footsteps and such quiet. Hopefully he wouldn't even run into the dragon. That would be the perfect scenario.

Once he finally made it to the area where he had fallen yesterday, he looked around. His heart sank when he saw the light blue dragon curled up in a ball, sleeping. Sleeping was better than nothing though, right? He started looking around for his axe. It had to be here somewhere. It's not like the dragon would have moved it.

His defined blue eyes scanned the cavern. He stepped over called crystals and did his very best to stay quiet. It didn't take him to horribly long to spot the axe. It was under some fallen and broken crystals.

Thalos looked at the dragon, then slowly started to make his way to the axe. He moved slowly and quietly. He was almost to the axe, when out of no where, one of the crystals from the ceiling above fell. Thalos gasped and jumped out of the way, barely avoiding it's impact. He grunted as he hit the hard ground. Part of the crystal shattered, but most of it just bounced on the floor, making loud sounds that echoed through the cavern.

This, of course, woke the large, icey blue dragon. The animal opened its orange eyes and stared right at Thalos. "Odin help me." He mumbled under his breath as the dragon lifted its head. The creature opened its wings to stretch them, all without removing its orange eyes from the Viking.

Thalos swallowed and quickly grabbed the meat that was over his shoulder. He hesitated before throwing it towards the dragon. The bore meat landed a few yards away from it. The creature looked at the meat, then at Thalos, then quickly grabbed the bore and swalllwed it whole.

"See? You have food, so just let me get what I came for.." he said hesitantly, swallowing as he reached for the axe. His heart was beating quickly, again.

The dragon's orange eyes narrowed at the boy and it let out a low growl. That wasn't helping Thalos's nerves. He quickly recoiled his arm and drew it away from the axe. The dragon snorted and continued watching him carefully.

Thalos licked his lips, bit them once, and went to grab his axe, this time, ignoring the dragon's growls. The second he grabbed it, the beast let out a huge roar, the force of it shoving him and his axe back. He quickly let go of the axe and covered his face from the small species of flying crystal.

The dragon growled and snorted aggressively, watching him. The animal saw the sword he had been holding, so it was mainly just trying to keep him from grabbing another weapon. The more weapons the human had, the more of a threat it was.

"I'm not going to attack you with it, I swear!" He said, looking at the axe. It was now farther away than before. "Even if I did, I wouldn't stand a chance! Surely you know that!"

The dragon just looked at him. Thalos thought a moment and looked at his sword. What if he traded? Would the dragon let him grab the axe if he wasn't holding the sword? His mind was going all over the place. His heart was racing, and he found it hard to breathe. He just wanted out of here, alive. Was that to much to ask?

He swallowed and slowly put his sword down. "See?" He then slowly stepped back so he was closer to his axe. He didn't remove his eyes from the dragon, and the dragon didn't remove its eyes from Thalos. The Viking hesitated before slowly crouching down and reaching for the weapon he was after. The dragon gave a small growl and Thalos froze. He took a few deep breaths and grabbed the axe. The ice-colored dragon stared at him, breathing slowly and deeply, making its breaths easily audible.

Thalos got a firm grip on the axe and slowly stood up. The dragon let out another light growl. "I'm not going to try to hurt you." He said. He looked around and started slowly stepping back. "See? I'm leaving now. You can go back to sleep." He added as he continued stepping back, pointing to where the dragon had been sleeping before he got here.

He made a sound in alarm as he tripped over a crystal. He caught himself with his hands when he fell, and luckily managed to keep hold of his axe. The young dragon took this opportunity to practically ram Thalos with his nose, rolling him over. When Thalos felt that he was getting touched, he practically jumped out of his skin. He thought the dragon was about to eat him. He genuinely thought he was done for.

One can imagine how horrifying it was when the dragon's face touched his body. The boy grunted and froze, staring at the dragon. It made a slight roar/growl-like sound and turned around, walking away.

The dragon snorted and turned its head, looking at him. Thalos quickly started backing away, holding onto his axe. The dragon then tilted his head and watched him.

The creature finally laid down. While the it wasn't feeling threatened, he still kept his eyes open to ensure his own safety.

Thalos walked backwards away from the dragon until he couldn't see it anymore. When it was out of site, he turned around and quickly made his way back to the water. He was glad to see his raft was still there.

He got onto the raft and started to make his way out of the cavern, as quickly as he could. His body was already still sore from yesterday. His getting tossed around like a toy today would probably only make it worse. Didn't he have his first day of dragon killing training tomorrow? He couldn't afford to be sore. Gobber was a very... hands on type of person.

Sore was better than being dead though. Wait, how was he not dead? Dragons are fierce, merciless creatures. They are creatures without a soul. Why didn't the dragon kill him the second it saw him? That didn't make any sense whatsoever. He should be dead, not alive floating across a thing of water.

He shook his head. He probably shouldn't be looking a gift yak in the mouth. He was just happy he was alive. Although, his curiosity was sparked. That dragon went against anything he had learned about dragons in the past.