Observing The Dragon

Thalos quickly made his way back to his hut. He walked inside and looked around. He set his axe down and started looking for a journal and pencil. He walked up to his room and looked under his bed, desk, ect.. After a few minutes, he found one.

He took a deep breath and grabbed some money. "Thor.. don't let me die. I'm doing good. I don't want to die yet." He prayed as he exited the hut. His heart was already speeding. He could quite possibly die, and no one would ever know.

He took a breath and walked outside. He really hated not bringing his axe, but, ironically, it seemed like the best way to keep himself alive. He walked to the butcher's market and bought the biggest peice of meat he could find. He was going to be broke after this..

He started making his way to the forest, making sure that he wasn't being followed. It took him around an hour to get down to the beach, get on the raft, and float all the way to where the ground was. Once he actually was inside the cavern and passed the water, he secured his raft and started walking.

On the bright side, all of this walking was putting him into better shape. The meat he was carrying wasn't exactly light weight. He kept walking. He stepped over and around the crystals that covered the ground. This cavern would be much easier to walk around if it weren't for the crystals everywhere.

After a little while, he made it to the end of the cavern. He spotted the dragon right away. It was walking around. It didn't take long for the dragon to realize Thalos was there. It caught his scent immediately.

It saw the meat over Thalos's shoulder and slowly started walking towards him. Thalos swallowed and took the meat off his shoulder. He threw it forward, trying to get it as close to the dragon and as far away from him as possible. The dragon walked up to the meat, sniffed it once, and ate it.

Thalos looked at the dragon. He scratched the back of his neck and looked around. He hesitated a moment before finding a spot a bit away from the beast and sitting down. He pulled out his journal.

"Thor this is horrifying." He mumbled, opening it up. The dragon tilted its head and watched Thalos. It examined the Viking, probably looking for a weapon of some sorts. It didn't find any, so it just stared at him.

Thalos looked at the beast. "I have to come up with a name for its species, right?" He asked himself, watching the dragon. The animal turned and continued walking around that portion of the cavern. Thalos watched its movements.

The dragon walked around with his head parallel to its body. It stepped like any other dragon. It almost had a preditory cat-like walk. It looked like it was stalking something. That's how it walked.

"A name.." He said, looking around. How was he supposed to come up with a name? It needed a name. He looked at the dragon, and tilted his head. It had something in its mouth. The dragon shook its head and threw the object, clearly not liking the taste or something of it.

Thalos looked at the object. It was brown and looked like a square. Was it a journal? He looked at the dragon, hesitated, then got up and made his way over to it. He picked it up and examined it. Yeah, it was definetly a journal. "Where did this come from?" He asked himself.

He glanced at the dragon, who was watching him, and then looked back at the journal. He sat down and opened it. He could tell the thing was old, and the raised temperature in the cavern didn't help preserve it. There was writing in it, but a lot of it was faded or smudged. He tried to make out what it said.

The first page seemed to only have one word on it. Thalos couldn't really tell what it said. The first letter looked to be an X. He couldn't see the second letter, but the third maybe looked like a N? Or a M.. or an E. He scratched the back of his neck. He could tell the next letter was an O.

Thalos spent a good while trying to figure out what the page said. So far, he had gotten "Xeno jve." He didn't know what any of those words meant. He still couldn't figure out some of the letters. He thought moment. Maybe that E at the end was an A. Why was this so hard!?

Wait.. did it say Jiiva? Is that was it said? Xeno'jiiva? What did that even mean? He looked at the dragon. Is that what it was called? Xeno'jiiva?

He looked at the dragon. It was now laying down. Xeno'jiiva it was. It's not like he had any better ideas. He wrote that down in his journal.

Then a thought hit him. What happened to the owner of the journal? He looked through the journal. There was no name, but the pages were full of info. Some were still faded, but he may be able to figure it out. He might try to look at it later though. He wanted to make what observations he could right now, by himself.

So, someone had found this dragon first? Then, how old was the dragon? This journal looked ancient. He shook his head. No, it probably hadn't been alive that long. That would have made it many generations old. No way. But then, where was it's parents? Where were the signs of other Xeno'jiivas, like bones or something?

Perhaps the dragon produced asexually? He wasn't sure. Thalos actually had a lot of questions about the dragon. Like, what did it eat before he came along? No one had ever seen this massive thing raiding, nor had anyone seen it flying around the sky or forest. It appeared that it had been down here all it's life.

Also, was it male or female? He couldn't tell. Perhaps Hiccup would. He didn't know if it was a good idea to tell Hiccup though. He might turn the dragon in and get it killed. That wouldn't be good for documenting. Then again, he didn't tell anyone about the Night Fury. Nonatheless, Thalos didn't think it would be a good idea. The less people that knew about the Xeno'jiiva, the better.

Thalos just decided to write down what he knew:

Name: Xeno'jiiva

Likes Food: Bore

Blasts: Beams, similar to a Night Fury

Appearance: Icey blue and crystal-like features with 8 orange dots on its head. 2 are likely eyes. Long tail and neck, four legs. Large wings.

Sure, he didn't have a lot of information, nor did he write it down professionally, but still. This was better than nothing, right? The dragon was still laying down. Thalos was guessing that it was sleeping, or at least, trying to.

He waited in the cavern for a couple hours, just watching what it did. It seemed to sleep most of the time. He finally decided to get up and leave. He had been here a while. He made sure to grab both his journal and the journal he found.

He looked at the dragon, who stared back at him. The beast tilted its head and gave a low, rumbling sound. Thalos turned around and started walking out. He had to make it back for a meeting in the Great Hall with Gobber and the other students.