Chapter 5: The Eggs Explode!

Hiccup is sitting upright on Meatlug, who is flying uncontrollably though a thick fog. Giant rock columns appear out of nowhere, and Meatlug narrowly misses them.  

"Whoa! Meatlug, where are you taking me?" 

The mast of a shipwrecked Viking boat suddenly appears out of the fog. Hiccup pulls up violently on Meatlug, and they soar upward, into the clouds. The cloud cover disappears, and Hiccup looks down at a giant, rocky ocean island. It's a beautiful multicolored cove, with the intensity of the Yellowstone Prismatic Spring.

Meatlug descends, skims across the water, and lands, skidding to a stop on the island. Hiccup dismounts. He looks around.

Huddled around the water on several rock tiers of the cliff are hundreds of dragons: Gronckles, Zipplebacks, Nightmares, a couple of Terrors, and all their babies.

"You guys come here to have babies." Hiccup said in awe.

Two Deadly Nadders-- Stormfly and Sage-- waddles over to their nest, full of chirping baby Nadders, as Hiccup looks on. "Whoa..."

Hiccup notices a Gronckle knocking a couple of its eggs into a hot spring. He slides down the side of the rock to get a better look, narrowly missing some baby dragons playing running past him.

The Gronckle eggs drop to the bottom of the hot spring, fizzling. Then, suddenly, they burst open, releasing a bubble of flames. Baby Gronckles swim back to the surface and tumble out onto land in front of Hiccup.

"Aww, wow." Hiccup said in amazement.

Except there's one more egg, unhatched, lying next to the hot spring. Hiccup notices. "Hey, look over here. You missed one."

Hiccup approaches the egg-- BLAM! The egg explodes in a giant ball of fire, knocking Hiccup back onto the ground. The baby is launched into the air, and falls a few seconds later by Hiccup's feet. It yawns.

"Man, it's a good thing those don't hatch on Berk." Hiccup commented, staring wide-eyed at the baby Gronckle.

Empty helmets galore, and so many eggs to fill them with! Ruffnut, Agnes, Tuffnut, Fishlegs, Snotlout, Astrid, Ingrid, all place their remaining eggs

Empty helmets galore, and so many eggs to fill them with! Ruffnut, Agnes, Tuffnut, Fishlegs, Snotlout, Astrid, Ingrid, all place their remaining eggs. When finished, the four teens meet back with Astrid.

"Wasn't this a great idea?" Astrid asks the other teens, proud of herself for coming up with the idea.

"Uh-huh. Everyone is gonna be so surprised!" Fishlegs said excitedly.

BLAM! A baby Gronckle bursts through a nearby door in a ball of fire, hitting Fishlegs on the head and knocking him back.

"Surprise!" Snotlout exclaimed, grinning.

The teens notices the baby dragon on Fishlegs' stomach and crowd around the Gronckle, watching it blink and yawn. Everyone except for  Agnes, Ingrid, and Astrid, who looks at the baby Gronckle with wide-eyed fear.

"The eggs explode?" Ingrid muttered with wide eyes.

BLAM! A second baby Gronckle bursts out of an attic. BLAM! Another one through a house's roof.

"The eggs explode!" Both Agnes and Astrid shouted.

BLAM, BLAM, BLAM! Vikings run, yelling, from their houses, into the town square.

"I'm sorry! Sorry!" Astrid apologizes as Vikings ran past her.

"Oh no..." Ingrid muttered under her breath, surveying the destruction around her.

BLAM! A ball of fire bursts through a roof, leaving a giant hole. Another baby Gronckle soars past the tip of the Snoggletog tree, setting it alight.

"Save us!" A Viking shouts.

One by one, as if on a timer, three houses explode in a row. Baby Gronckles crash through the Snoggletog tree, ripping off wood and lighting giant patches of fire. The three girls are paralyzed in fear. The others watch in awe.

"Awesome!" Ruffnut cheered.

"Wow." Tuffnut said, admiring the explosions.

"This is your best idea yet!" Snotlout said to Astrid, who was panicking more and more with each explosion. Fishlegs, carrying a baby Gronckle, is watching the destruction with worried eyes.

Stoick and the other Vikings crowd around the Snoggletog tree, which is slowly burning to the ground.

"What in Thor's name is going on?!" Stoick exclaims.

"The eggs explode." Astrid replies meekly. 

BLAM! The final egg explodes in a house behind her. Astrid winces before smiling at the chief nervously.

Hiccup is wandering around the Rookery, looking for Toothless desperately

Hiccup is wandering around the Rookery, looking for Toothless desperately. "Toothless? Toothless?" No answer.

"Come on, Toothless, where are you?"

He wanders a little more before he makes it to the edge of the cliff, Hookfang, Sage and Stormfly reside there with their children. Hookfang's head snaps up, noticing Hiccup first.

"Hookfang!" Hiccup runs up to hug Hookfang before making his way over to the two Deadly Nadders, who greets him happily.

"Oh, you have no idea how happy I am to see you guys." He notices Sage and Stormfly's babies to his left. He walks over to them openly, chuckling.

"You guys are together? And you have... babies? Aw, look at you guys, all happy together! Who knew you were leaving to celebrate your own, sort of... holiday?" Hiccup said in realization. "I should get back to my holiday."

Hiccup looks over at Hookfang. "So, what do you say, Hookfang? You think you can give me a ride home?"

Hookfang growls in agreement and Hiccup climbs on before Hookfang takes to the skies, hovering over the island.

"I'll see you all back on Berk when you're good an ready, okay gang?" Hiccup addresses the other dragons.

All the adult dragons immediately take flight, hovering over the island as well. "Oh no. No, no! I think I just started the return migration. Well, if you insist."

The dragons beckon their babies to fly as well, and few of the baby dragons spread their wings and jump from the clip, flapping rapidly to stay in the air.

"Come on..." Hiccup said, hoping that the baby dragons have enough strength to fly. But it's not enough. A strong gust of wind blows the baby dragons back on the island. They tumble in defeat.

"Ugh, boy, this is never gonna work. Oh, hold on, I've got just the thing." Hiccup pats Hookfang's neck, and the two fly off.