The Rock Show

It had been a couple of days after the exhibition, and still no word from Matty. I felt so silly waiting by my phone for him to call or text, asking me to meet with him regarding the painting. It sat in the corner of my living room, covered with a white sheet. I looked out the window of my apartment, down onto the city, a cup of steaming coffee in my hands. It was relatively early in the morning, a Saturday. From the kitchen table, my phone buzzed, and I sprinted over to it like the absolute dork I am. It was a number I didn't recognize, it had to be Matty.

Vivian, when and where can we meet for the painting? -Matty

I began typing out a reply but before I could send it, my phone buzzed again.

Actually, scratch that. Text me your address. I'd rather the paps not make any baseless assumptions -Matty

I typed it out and sent it to him, thanking him for taking the time to come by. I then looked around my house and panicked. It was sort of a wreck. I set my phone down and began to put dishes in the sink and cleaned of my countertops. I arranged the pillows on the couch in a fancy manner and lit some candles. Dear god, I was overdoing it. I then looked into the upright mirror that sat in my living room and realized how much of a disheveled mess I looked like. I ran to my bedroom and threw on some jeans and a nice shirt and brushed my mess of brunette locks until I was satisfied. I was alerted to Matty's presence when my German Shepherd, Gypsy, began barking frantically at the door. My nerves kicked into high gear and I took a deep breath, walking to my living room and putting on the front that I was calm and collected.

"Gypsy!" I hissed quietly, trying to silence her as a knock came from the door.

I looked around once more, just to make sure everything was put away, and then noticed my huge, neon pink poster that read THE 1975 on it. I sighed with frustration.

"One moment!" I shouted frantically, running to thee living room wall that housed the poster and tearing it down. I rolled it up and shoved it underneath the couch, running back to the door. I took one last deep breath and opened the door to Matty's smiling, radiant face.

"Hello, Vivian." He said.

"Hi, Matty." I smiled, moving aside and letting him walk inside.

Just then, Gypsy came running from my bedroom barking up a storm.

Shit.

"GYPSY!" I yelled as she jumped all over Matty.

"No, no its fine." He laughed, scratching her ears and petting her as she began to calm down a little.

"I'm so sorry, I completely forgot to put her out..." I said, facepalming.

"No its really quite alright." Matty assured me.

"So, the art. My piece. Its right over here." I said, walking to the corner of my living room and uncovering it.

Matty looked at it and smiled, then looked back at me.

"I honestly forgot how stunning this is." Matty said.

I shook my head.

"Its alright. I do think it was the best piece from my collection, though." I said, halfway agreeing with him.

"Well, heres the money, Fifteen hundred, as I promised you. Honestly its probably worth more than that. I feel like Im cheating you." He chuckled, handing over a huge wad of cash.

I stared at it wide eyed for a moment before clearing my throat and taking it.

"No, Matty. Your ridiculous." I smiled, shaking my head and folding the money, putting it in my back pocket.