It's A Long Story

My ears were still ringing from the show as a security guard led us backstage. She had informed us that Matty requested we come back after the show. If all of this didn't feel like a dream before, it certainly did now. We reached a lounge, where Matty, Adam, Ross, and George all sat on a plush sofa, drinking a round of beers.

"Ladies." George smiled.

"Ah, Viv! I'm so, so glad you made it." Matty smiled, setting his beer down and walking over to hug me.

"Good to see you too, Matty." I said, heart in my throat.

"These are my sisters, Audrey and Violet." I said, introducing him to the two of them.

Audrey and Violet both shook his hand and Violet bumped me with her arm, still teasing me.

I replied by kicking her in the foot. She was quiet after that.

"So, Vivian, Violet, and Audrey. This is George, Adam, and Ross." Maddy said, gesturing to his bandmates.

They all waved and said hello politely as we shook their hands.

"What'd you think of the show?" Matty asked, taking a seat back on the couch.

"It was incredible. I honestly think this is your best album yet. I loved every bit of it." I replied, smiling.

"Fantastic indeed." Audrey chimed in.

"Hey, Matty, wheres Georgia?" Ross inquired.

"Oh, she should be here any minute. I'm sure she's just freshening up." Matty said.

"Would you like some drinks?" Adam asked us.

"Oh, none of us are legal." I laughed.

"Legal shmegal. You've got to be at least close to 21." Adam said.

"I'm barely 20. Violet is 18, and Audrey is the tender age of 16." I explained, a playful smile on my face.

"You could've lied and said 17, at least." Audrey huffed.

"What? You are the baby after all." Violet reminded her.

"One day I'll be more successful than all of you." Audrey said.

"Shoot for the stars, Audrey. With that attitude you just might live up to your word." Matty laughed.

The night continued and we all did a few icebreakers to get to know each other better. Violet was chatting with Ross about music theory (she played the violin, and quite incredibly at that) and Audrey was making Adam and George crack up with her witty jokes and advanced sense of humor. I now sat on the couch next to Matty and he was asking me various questions.

"Ok, why are you unsatisfied with your art?" Matty asked.

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Is it really that obvious?" I asked.

"Yes, it really is that obvious." Matty said, making a funny gesture with his hands.

"Well, I suppose its kind of an internal reflection. I'm not really happy with myself either. My life hasn't been the easiest. I guess its just how I feel about myself reflecting into what I create as well." I explained, folding my hands in my lap.

"But what you create is so beautiful." Matty protested.

"I'm glad you think so." I said, offering him a small smile.

"Honestly, I'm very proud of my music. But creating an intricate picture in your mind and putting it to paper in such vivid detail is a skill I could never harbor." Matty said, shaking his head and taking a swig of his drink.