04. Mute Melodies

Two remaining scraps of teal colorant was gradually leaving its place on Scarlet's nails. The nail polish resembled as a time-lapse of her life prior a month ago until now. In those events, she was granted with the life she wished for: to live it alongside with a boy she loved.

The love she earned was the source of her euphoria but also the dawning of many atrocious nights. Even the rumbling of rain couldn't quite conceal the outbursts of her sobs when the clock struck twelve.

Because where the road leads to self-love, Scarlet is lost.

Her past lover's finding in his correct path only resulted in heartbreak and abandonment. Yes, she's happy for him but her presumption of needing his guidance was silly now that she thinks of it.

It's up to Scarlet to find the unerring path to her self-acceptance. After that is accomplished, the readiness to mold her heart with someone else's would bloom.

But not yet.

. . .

Not yet has she been able to escape from the lap of the man whose mouth curved up into a teasing smirk. His eyes glistened with mischief as a hand rested on her hips comfortably.

"So tell Santa, what do you want for Christmas?"

Christmas surely came early for her this year.

With both arms looped around Jungkook's neck, she leaned in close enough to see the scar etched on his left cheek. Scarlet unconsciously let her fingers graze over it, the mark igniting a series of questions she wanted to blurt out.

It matched the one opposite to her own.

She retreated her fingers as quickly as it had reached up to trace the scar, embarrassed when Jungkook's smirk only widened at her slip-up. Scarlet persisted with her scheme as she allowed her chin to rest perfectly into the crook of his neck.

Her hands moved down to caress the soft skin beneath his shirt before answering.

"A Kiss."

"Bold of you to a—"

She placed an index finger against Jungkook's lips, shutting him up from any quirky remarks and smiled. "The chocolate ones."

He pushed her finger away with a glare.

A soft ding echoed throughout the dimly lit plane, indicating the seatbelt sign was now off.

"Accompany me, will you?" Scarlet inquired, face close to his own.

No response was given.

She shifted carefully on Jungkook's lap to get off, hoping she wouldn't excite something unnecessary.

"Wouldn't do that if I were you."

Like déjà vu, Scarlet stiffly stilled at his comment, finding the warmth spreading rather rapidly to her cheeks. She sighed in disbelief at her reaction and moved away from the living seat – perhaps too eagerly that vertigo invaded her vision.

She seized onto Jungkook's seat until the swarming stars vanished and grinned down at the boy. "Don't get your panties in a twist once you find me dismembered."