Old Rivalry

Hanging out with monkies isn't as carefree as you might initially think, Zaria knew from personal experience if there was one thing they loved to do it was cause trouble, all the wrong kinds. As their ruler, she wasn't usually part of the action. Which in this case was actually a good thing because it gave her time to catch up with old friends.

"We haven't talked in while have we?" She raised her head from the stone slab to look at all the creatures around her. "Not that there ever seemed to be much to talk about, all you guys wish to do is worship the ground I walk on no matter how many times I say I don't deserve it." Pause. "At least you're good at listening." They all fell silent, waiting for what she was about to say.

"I didn't really want to go into exile, I just sorta ran away with every last intention not to come back. There are so many things I forgot were a problem for me, such as Shere-Khan." A murmur passed through the room, she waited patiently for it to pass before continuing. 

"He always did care about me, no matter what I said it only made him more devoted to me. But things are so much more complicated now; what with Mowgli in the picture and the jungle ways changing...I just don't fit in anywhere anymore it seems." She paused to think. "Except here, I suppose I'll always have a place here." The monkeys chittered softly, gazing at her with soft concentrated eyes.

Just then there was the skitter of paws and another creature entered the room, one that wasn't a monkey and certainly not welcome. He scampered wildly, chuckling up to the stone throne and stopping just before it, grinning wildly at the ruler sitting upon it. "Zaria." Her face was cold. "Tabqui, I'd say it's a pleasure but I'd be lying." He only snickered in response.

Tabqui was the striped hyena accomplice of Shere-Khan, an insane creature, he followed his master's every command and was behind his every decision, except one; the choice to let Zaria live. He had been there all those years ago when he found her and told her about a place where she could stay. From the beginning he had detested the girl-cub and would've attacked her in her cave if it wasn't for the fact it was too high up the mountain for him to reach. The feeling was mutual on her part and now whenever they met all they did was bicker and, when worse came to worse, fight to the death. Except they never got that far.

"What the hell are you doing here? You know well enough you're not welcome." "Am I? If I didn't know any better oh queen of the ruins, I'd say you're the unwelcome one." The monkeys began to scream as she stood from the throne with eyes burning hatred. "Perhaps you'd like proof that you're the weak one." "Simply clarification you're not fit to sit on that throne." That did it, with a roar like the one she heard Bagheera give, she lunged and tackled the beast to the floor, the monkey's exploding with noise as the fight began.

Her nails dug into his skin, yanking up chunks of matted fur before leaping off so he could turn over. Crouched on all fours she growled at him and he only snickered back, this only angered her further before they both charged. His claws were first to make contact, not doing all that much damage and just barely breaking the skin. Curling her hand into a fist she socked him under the jaw before biting down on it hunchback where he couldn't reach, but by doing so one of her legs dangled rather close to his muzzle and he took the opportunity to plant his fangs in the supple flesh. She opened her mouth to scream and lost her grip, allowing him to throw her off as she hit the ground and the wound poured blood.

"You're pathetic, I can't understand why he spared your life." She looked up with glossy eyes whilst biting her lip "Any last words?" She paused before managing a weak, pain-ridden smile. "Your master's never that far behind is he?" He looked slightly confused. 

That's when a roar shook the room and all heads turned to the door. Tabqui's eyes went wide.

Shere-Khan came in at a steady pace, as if he had all the time in the world. The monkeys scampered back as he came in, paw dragging on the ground as the extended claws scrapped the stone and echoed throughout the room. There was murder in his eyes as he approached the scavenger who was currently trembling like a leaf. "Master, I didn't-" With a roar and a swing of his paw the hyena was sent flying across the room, hitting the wall was a resounding thud. His face softened as he came up to the young woman.

"You're hurt." "I'm fine." She stood up only to feel pain rocket through her body, causing her to stumble and fall onto the tiger's back. "Don't walk, it'll only make it worse, climb on my back." "Oh no!" She exclaimed, jumping back. "There's no way we're jumping back into the mate category, not after all this time of being apart." She attempted to walk again, this time when she fell she caught herself before lying down on the floor, hiding her face in her arms in order not to meet his eyes. She waited a little while before looking up, his head was lowered to the floor as his blue eyes gazed softly into hers. "Stop acting so strong around me." She sighed, he lowered himself almost completely to the floor. She looked at him for a moment, before reaching out, grabbing a handful of his dark orange fur, and pulling herself into his back. Her felt him chuckle faintly before he started making his way to the exit. She sat up and looked upon her subjects. 

"The queen will return." And they all bowed before she lay on his back and clung tight as he picked up speed and started off into the sunset.