Chapter 4

Carolinecould feel a tug at the necklace. The last thing she rememberedwas a sudden light, heat, and force that pushed her to the ground.Unwilling to lose the necklace, she clutched it as hard as she couldbefore she blacked out.

Now,Caroline could feel the air and hear the sounds of a late summernight. She could tell she was in someone's arms and she couldfeel the rise and fall of their chest as whoever it was breathed. 

Carolineopened her eyes and immediately saw who was carrying her. Shegrew excited when she recognized the same white hair from justearlier that night. Because they were in the moonlight,Caroline could see everything clearly. 

Sothis was the wizard? Caroline was surprised to see that he wasreally rather young. After seeing his white hair, she thoughthe must've been old. His hair was wavy and slightly longish,but it didn't touch his shoulders. His skin was tan and hiseyes were dark blue. For whatever reason, he seemed unhappy. Was it because Caroline had finally seen him?

Carolinelooked to her left and realized they were nearing the farm. Thetrees were thinning, and near the last of the trees, the wizardcarefully set Caroline down. Standing in front of him, Carolinecould now see what he was wearing. He had a knee-length darkpurple robe that had a hood, silver shirt, and white pants. Forfootwear he wore a pair of sandals with straps that laced around hisfeet to his ankles.

Henodded towards the farm, "Run along now."

Notonly was Caroline surprised at his appearance, but she was surprisedat his voice. He hadn't spoken before, so she had assumed hisvoice was unpleasant. On the contrary, his voice matched hisappearance well, and Caroline liked the sound. 

"Whydidn't you come meet me before?" Caroline asked.

Thewizard's face grew red and he simply reiterated, "Runalong."

Carolinewas confused, "Why won't you answer my questions?"

Hewas quiet for some time. Finally, he sighed, "Please, just goback home now. Trust me, there's nothing you need to knowabout me. Just go home before someone notices you'regone."

Carolinewasn't sure how to take what he said. She turned around andmade her way to the fence. Before climbing over she took onelast glance back at the wizard. He had his arm around the treeand was watching. Caroline proceeded over the fence and wentback to her house, aware of the wizard watching her the whole way. 

Thenext morning Caroline wasn't sure whether to tell her mother or notabout the wizard. She decided not to, but was so excited thatshe felt she had to tell someone. As soon as her chores weredone, Caroline rode to town. She was looking for her friends,although Eva had sent her to meet Jake and Derek. 

AsCaroline neared the school, she saw the teachers. One was themayor's son. He was in his late twenties or early thirties. He had brilliant green eyes and blonde hair that almost seemedsilver. He always had a serious look. He wore a greenargyle shirt and darker green pants, as well as a pair of shiny blackshoes. The adults called him Geo, and the students called himMr. Geo. Everyone assumed it was short for Geoffrey, but no onewas sure because he was never called Geoffrey.  

The otherteacher was a little younger, nineteen at youngest. Compared to mostof the other townsfolk she had dark skin, although her skin wasn'tvery dark. As Caroline looked at her teacher now, she realizedher skin was only a bit darker than the wizard's. The femaleteacher had curly black hair with one white lock, and dark browneyes. She was wearing a blue dress and a pair of white shoesthat went with the dress. Her name was Luna, and the studentscalled her Miss Luna.

"What'son your mind?" Luna asked, noticing Caroline's excitement.

"Lastnight I met the wizard!" Caroline exclaimed. Luna and Geowere the ones who told the children of the wizard, so Caroline feltit was okay to tell them.