Chapter 7

Caroline sighed as she sat down on her bed. Coming to the hotel, Caroline had seen Geo, so Derek must've been back, but where was he? He wasn't in the hotel. Caroline decided to go look for her brother. 

 As Caroline walked around, she came to a young man with light brown hair and brown eyes. He seemed happy enough.

"I just got made the deputy!" the man told Caroline. Then, he realized he didn't introduce himself, "Oh, by the way, I'm Carl."

That was when Caroline realized this was Heath's father.  

"I'm Caroline," Caroline said, "and I'm happy to hear about your promotion."

"Yeah, I guess it's cool," Carl said, "but I'm really hoping that sheriff Patrick will take a liking to me, and let me date his daughter, Phyllis."

"Oh." Caroline wasn't sure what to say in response. Phyllis, that name rung a bell. Wasn't it Heath's mother's name? realizing it was, Caroline said, "I'm sure it'll all work out."

Carl shrugged, "I hope."

Caroline kept walking. As she walked by buildings, Caroline looked inside for her brother. With no luck, Caroline went to the county. Here, she only saw Kirsten and Phyllis, who were talking about Stefan. Phyllis was a black-haired girl who had blue eyes and wore glasses. Caroline also saw some adults who she figured must've been the young versions of the older people who lived in the county that Caroline was used to.  

Next, Caroline went to the carpenter's area. Caroline only saw a young man working and a twelve-year-old girl playing.  

"Hello," the girl greeted. She had dark red hair and blue eyes.  

Caroline waved, "Hi, I'm Caroline. Have you seen my brother? He's a lil' taller than me and has dark brown hair and brown eyes."

The girl shook her head, "No, and my brother and I have been out here all day, so we would've seen him. I'm Riley and that's my brother Stefan."

Caroline looked at Stefan with surprise. Luc looked more like his father than she realized. "Well, thanks anyway," Caroline said and then left.

As Caroline walked through the county and town she kept an eye out for her brother. When she didn't find him she decided to go to the farm. Of course he'd be there; why didn't she think of that earlier?

When Caroline reached the farm, she saw Eva and Jake standing together, pointing out different areas and talking. Caroline decided not to bother them, but she still didn't see Derek. The only place left was the forest, so Caroline crossed the bridges and went past the area where the fence would've been to find her brother.  

Caroline wandered through the forest, but found no sign of Derek. Somehow, she ended up at a little house. Caroline figured it was Quasar's house, so she knocked on the door. Sure enough, it was Quasar who opened it and let her in. Caroline immediately looked around the house while Quasar closed the door and then he went farther back into the home.

"I'm surprised you didn't come find me sooner," Quasar said.

Caroline sighed, "I would've, but Derek's gone. I don't know where he is and I've looked everywhere."

"I'm sure he's fine." Quasar assured Caroline.

Caroline shrugged, "I don't know...."

"Well, why wouldn't he be okay?"

Caroline thought about it for a moment, and then happily replied, "I guess you're right."

Quasar nodded.