Chapter 5

Caroline walked through the forest with her mother's diary pressed against her chest. She still couldn't believe what Derek had done, and Caroline decided to come here to try to relax. When Caroline could hear coughing, she stopped. She slowly walked out of the trees, to an open area and couldn't believe what she saw.

The wizard was sitting with his arms around his legs and his head between his knees, coughing. Nearby was a tortoise. 

"So that was you," Caroline asked, "That was you back at the Moon Pool, wasn't it?"

The wizard looked up. He nodded slightly before coughing more. He then fell backwards, with his hands under his head and he closed his eyes.

Caroline moved slightly closer, "Are you okay?"

"Only half drowned," He replied before coughing more.

Caroline smiled, he had actually answered her.

"If you're a wizard, then shouldn't you know some spell or something to make yourself not half drowned?" Caroline asked.

"I'm not a wizard." He replied, and then coughed a little bit.

"You aren't?"

He shook his head.

"What are you?" Caroline inquired.

"That doesn't concern you." He said.

Caroline asked a different question, "Why did you go back in for my necklace?"

"So your brother's wish doesn't come true."

"Why don't you want it to come true?"

"Why do you ask so many questions?"

"Because I'm curious." Caroline said, and then asked, "What's your name?"

"Quasar."

"Quasar?" Caroline repeated.

"Yes, it's a celestial body."

"A what?"

"It's something that is on the edges of space that is the center of ancient galaxies."

"That's weird to be named after."

"Not for my type."

"Your type?" 

"All star-keepers are named after something space related. We're named after our symbol."

"Symbol?"

"I'm not going into detail; not now."

"Later, then?"

Quasar didn't reply.  

Caroline looked around and found a tree to sit under and read.

Today I asked Mom about the whole ring-with-your-birthstone thing. She's not from around here, so she doesn't really know where the tradition comes from, but she said that she thinks the logic is if someone really knows or loves you, they'll know you're birthday. I guess this makes sense; no one except family ever remembers anyone's birthday. I guess it's a good thing then that Naomi and my birthdays are only three days apart. That means that if Chad ever really does propose to me, I'll be able to take the ring from him, and give it to Chris. Chris likes Naomi a ton, but he's too shy to do anything about it. Why couldn't Chad be as shy as Chris? That'd make my life easier.

Mom's told me before that things were different where she came from. Apparently, people still propose with a ring, but not one with your birthstone. Where Mom comes from, you also have a choice in getting married. Here, if someone proposes to you, and your families are happy with the arrangement, you're getting married. Here, it's also the guys who propose; never the girls. I wonder if my family would be happy with the arrangement. I know Chad's dad used to bully my dad, but Chad's mom and my dad used to be really close before my mom came to the island. I think they know how I feel about Chad, but what if they think that I only talk badly about him because I like him? I hope not; that's certainly not the case!