Chapter 6

Caroline felt the room rocking, and she could smell the ocean. She got up and reached for her brush. Caroline brushed her hair and then got out of bed. She felt different. For one, she felt taller. Caroline went over to the tall mirror and was shocked. She looked eighteen, and was wearing an orange t-shirt and jean shorts. The shorts doubled as a skirt, which had pockets. Caroline reached into one pocket and found some money.

There was still some rocking and the smell of the ocean, plus Caroline could now hear people, so she went over to the round window by her bed. Outside was ocean, and she could see the boat she was on was nearing a dock. Caroline quickly left the room. Almost immediately, she ran into Derek. He looked to be about twenty. He was wearing a red and white shirt, dark red cargo pants, and red gloves.  

"Isn't this cool?" Derek asked.

Caroline shook her head, "No; we don't know where we are or anything!"

Derek shrugged, "We'll be fine."

Caroline folded her arms, "How do you know?"

Derek sighed, "If you're so worried, then we'll stick together."

Caroline nodded and followed her brother to the deck. Once up there, they stood by the side of the boat where they could see the ocean. The boat soon came to the dock and people began getting on and off.

"Derek, look!" Caroline said and pointed to someone who had just boarded.  

"Whoa!" Derek said, "That guy looks like Dad, but younger!"

Caroline nodded. The person she pointed out was a young man with dark brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing dark blue cargo pants, a lighter blue t-shirt, and dark blue gloves. The man stood looking out at the ocean. Caroline and Derek watched him, even through the hour it took to get to the next stop.  

"Derek, we've been put into the past," Caroline concluded.

Derek shook his head, "Yeah right."

Caroline and Derek went back and forth until a girl ran onto the deck. Caroline immediately recognized the girl as her mother, Eva. She was wearing a light green t-shirt with blue jeans and pale green gloves. On her back she had a small backpack.  

"That's Mom!" Caroline said.

Derek didn't believe her, "Again, yeah right!"

Derek and Caroline then watched the newcomer stumble into the young man they had seen earlier. Caroline and her brother were quiet, to hear what the young adults were saying.

"Sorry!" the girl said.

The boy laughed, "That's okay. It's different walking on boats than it is on land."

The girl nodded, "Yeah. I'm Eva Crowfar."

"I'm Jake Coltson."

Caroline nudged Derek. Derek sighed, "Fine, you're right."

Eva decided to make a conversation, "So, where are you going?"

"To Spring Mist, I think." Jake replied, "Sundance is too much of a big city for my liking. On the other hand, Whisper Hollow is too quiet."

Eva nodded, "I know what you mean. Nothing ever happens in Whisper Hollow." They were both quiet for a little before Eva asked, "So, are you running away?"

Jake shook his head, "No, my family understands that I need to leave." He looked at Eva, "Are you?"

Eva blushed, "Well, yeah...."

Jake gave a slight nod, then he changed the subject, "I'm going to start a farm."

Eva smiled, "Really? That's what I'm going to do. too"