Chapter 22

Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.
Fremen Lesson

A

ride that would have taken the transporter they were using three days, took the worm two hours. 

Alexi took the time to reflect on Dax’s words. You must now decide where your loyalties lie. You cannot serve two masters. She hid her smile But I *can* I am Bene Gesserit.

No sooner had the journey began than Dax had made himself comfortable on the surface of the worm confident that he would come to no harm.  He then opened his arms to her inviting her to sit with him and she did.

Her reason for being on Arakkis had been to mate with this man.  The Reverend Mother Farrah was impatient that time was wasting and they were no closer to that aim -- Then suddenly this.

She felt his strong arms around her, keeping her safe and secure.  There was really no choice, she loved him and she now understood the Atreides ability to bind people to them.  The voices within urged caution but not flight and so she placed her foot on the path to follow that of her predecessor The Lady Jessica Atreides.

Her decision made she relaxed against Dax and she prepared to enjoy the ride.

Feeling the moment that her decision was made Dax tighten his arms around the woman he considered his Consort.

His reference to her earlier seeped in.  “Consort?” she asked.

“Consort.” He confirmed.

~*~*~*~*~

OFFICIAL MEMO

THE CABINET HAS INSTRUCTED ALL PLANETS TO OBSERVE THREE MINUTES OF SILENCE IN HONOUR OF THE VICTIMS OF THE TERRORIST ATTACKS ON KAITAN AND GIEDI PRIME.

THE HONOUR IS TO TAKE PLACE THE 15TH DAY OF THE MONTH OF MAUD'DIB IN THIS THE YEAR 39,176 AT THE HOUR OF LUD.

THE EMPRESS HAS ALSO DIRECTED THAT ALL FLAGS ON PUBLIC BUILDINGS BE FLOWN AT HALF-MAST THAT DAY.

~*~*~*~*~

Tho'Ma Kyens finally got his window of opportunity to present his theory when he was invited to be a key note speaker at "The Universal Summit on Sustainable Development and Climate Change: From Kaitian to Salusa Secundus - A Lost Decade", to be hosted by the Climate Change Secretariat and sponsored by the Humanitarian Assistance Program of the Military.

The Conference was being held at the Climate Change Secretariat Headquarters on Salusa Secundus and by all accounts it was a resounding success and it was not even completed yet. Then the attacks had occurred.  Now, understandably every thing was in the air and running late.

It was agreed by the delegates that the conference would continue. What else could be done? But all were warned that there would be mass disruptions to flight schedules as the Spacing Guild had locked down all travel for the first time ever.

Kynes had presented the paper; dealt with questions and all in all had defended his theory flawlessly and successfully.  A draft resolution was passed by a majority of only sixty percent based on his findings, but he had his proviso and that was what mattered.  Measures needed to be taken to mitigate the problem and this was a first step.

The draft resolution also made a call for Giedi Prime to reconsider their position of non-compliance.  The resolution would eventually be delivered to Empress Arista, when the document was finalized. 

As a true Kynes, fanatical in his crusade Tho’Ma had all intension in speaking with the Empress, finished document or not.  For now though he was stuck on Salusa Secundus.

He walked into the Command and Control room.  "Major!" he addressed the Soldier.

"Sir."

"Where is Colonel Clarke?"

"Not here Sir, I'm in charge may I assist?"

"I seriously doubt that you are in charge Major.  Where - is - Colonel Clarke!"

The Major regarded him "Mr. Kynes... "He said placatingly.

He pulled out his ID.  "Dr. Kynes, Imperial Planetologist."

The Major read the card and handed it back.

"Now Major I say again.  Where - is - Colonel Clarke!"

"Packing Sir. The Guild has conceded to exception for Military only. He has orders to return ASAP to the Kaitina. Transport is on its way as we speak to collect the Colonel."

"Book me on that transport Major, for I have to reach the Empress in quick time."

"No can do Sir.  This is for Military only; all civilians have to remain put."  The Major would not be budged and so Kynes was stranded on Kaitian.

~*~*~*~*~

The rhythm of the worm as it glided along was hypnotic and it wasn’t long before Alexi had dropped off to sleep.

Dax himself found the whole experience electrifying.  He had summoned a worm at will and it was complying with his request! He had mounted and now rode the Giant with no need of tools and to top it all he had Alexi with him for the ride – literally.  As these thoughts and feelings coursed through him his eyes looked at everything and he drank in the sights. Instinctively his hold on Alexi tightened, she adjusted herself in response.

As the ride continued he noticed the growth on the worm. Trying not to awaken Alexi he reached out and gently touched what looked like a tumor.   The worm reacted violently and almost threw them off.

“What!” Alexi awoke.

“Nothing…” Dax assured her as he filed the information away in his mind.  “My fault.  Nothing.” He lightly kissed the top of her head to reassure her.

--