Chapter 27

To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order;
to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order;
to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and
to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our heart.
Confucius

Dax had never really appreciated the privileges of being Royalty until now.  It had always ‘just been a part’ of his life, until now.  As plans progressed for the Convocation, he had the Natural History Museum of Pre Butleran Earth opened so that Alexi and himself could enjoy the exhibits in private.

Alexi was like a child in a candy store.  The life of a Bene Gesserit was a stark one.  For sure there were eventual benefits, she was well educated, multi-lingual, had the ability to control her body in a manner that many could not and her sexual prowess was matched only by fellow Sisters.  The lessons that had been hammered into her had made her even more superior when complimented by her awakening with the water of life.  Her indulgencies had been few and today she was given the run of a museum!!!  She ooed and ahhed and dragged him from one pile of bones to another.

Dax had never seen this side of her. He didn’t even know that she had liked this kind of stuff. 
They were now standing before a Pterodactyl "Can you imagine that thing taking to the air?" She was in awe.

"As long as I wasn't lunch." He grinned.

"You could very well have been." She replied with laughter in her voice.  "Oh look a T-Rex!" and off she went dragging him after her.

Then she spotted Giantgantasorous "Oh my God Dax they got it!"

"Got what!" he was lost.

"That!" And she pointed. "It was native to a place called Argentina and so far the largest dinosaur known to man." She began to rattle "The claw of a Velocirapter was a centimeter while the claw of Giantgantasorous was over a meter!  And it was just as intelligent as man! When that thing swiped it left a cut off a meter and a half.  It disemboweled its victims with one slash. When it walked the planet shook.  It was the terror of the neighborhood!"

"Alexi breathe… breathe!" Dax begged teasingly.

She suddenly launched herself at him and hugged him "Oh thank you Dax this is great!" She released him just as suddenly.

"Uh no awkward moment..." Dax grinned. He stood close to her and whispered, "May I?"

Alexi really saw no need to reply verbally. She was on a platform that had her at eye level with him; all she needed to do was turn and grant their wish and she did. She kissed him.  It felt like an electric charge was coursing through them.

The kiss finally broke leaving both breathless. "Alexi." He murmured.

All she was able to do was smile.  Suddenly he looked sad.  “Dax?” She prompted.

“Alexi.” He prepared to confess.  “I’m having dreams.”

“Dreams? I don’t understand.”

He sat on the ledge of the display case of a large dinosaur skeleton and she stepped down and joined him.  “Well… maybe not dreams – visions?”

“They are coming true?” She asked.  He nodded.  “Often?”

“Of late yes.”

“But something has happened or you would not tell me this now.”  She may be younger than him but she was shrewd.

He recited to her:  WE ARE INVESTIGATING THE POSSIBILITY THAT HE MAY BE A KWISATZ HADERACH.  GREAT MOTHER HELP US, FOR IF HE TAKES THE WATER OF LIFE WE MAY HAVE A REOCCURRENCE OF THE ERA OF MAUD'DIB.

Alexi kept a straight face on and filed away the fact that she was correct in her assessment that he could be the Kwisatz Haderach.  There were somethings she was not ready to share… not yet.  But this man of her’s bore close watching, of that she was now convinced more than ever.  “What scares you?” She carved straight to the point.  “That your visions are coming true?  That you may be a Kwisatz Haderach? That you may drink the water of life? What?”

“It’s not only the future. I see the past too.” He expanded.

Suddenly he got a blank look on his face as a waking dream came to him:  THE DUKE RICHA’ARD STOOD, “HIGHNESS I AMEND MY RECOMMENDATION.  INSTEAD OF WEAPONS INSPECTORS I SUGGEST THAT THE INSPECTORS BE ALLOWED, TO SEARCH FOR THINKING MACHINES.”

“Dax!” Alexi called him back.  “Did you have a vision?”

All he could do was nod; bury his head in her lap and mumble, “We are in for trying times.”

~*~*~*~*~

It was pure twist of fate that had Al Samoud and Samir Harkonnen disembarking when Samir spotted his father heading for another shuttle that would take him to a Heighliner.  Samir poked his brother and then pointed at his father.

Al Samoud grabbed his travel bag and headed after Vlad.  “… get it over and done with.” He explained.

Shrugging his shoulders in surrender Samir followed.

~*~*~*~*~

Dax had had enough revelations through dreams and visions to know that a significant number of them were accurate in what they revealed.  He summoned Mick’N and Alexi.

“I need you to take Alexi away from the Palace.” He requested.

“Why.” The old Naib demanded.

“I don’t care for the why of it; I’m not going.” Alexi announced adamantly.

“You will go!” Dax ordered and glared at her.  She stared angrily back at him but remained silent for the moment.  He turned to Mick’N.  “House Atreides is about to be assaulted.  My mother and I may be the only ones who can stand against what is to come.  I need Alexi far away from the center of conflict.”

The argument had the opposite effect.

“Then that is more reason to be at your side, My Lord.” Alexi surged gently.  [How can you ask me to leave you at a time like this my Love?] She thought.

“She is right.” Mick’N agreed, “…you do not weaken your House just before an assault.”

Dax explained his position with patience. “It will be a domino effect my friend.  If House Atreides is to fall Arakkis will soon follow.  The Sietchs are to be prepared and protected.  You are Naib – go protect your Sietch.  Arista is head of House Atreides she will take care of hers.”

He turned to Alexi.  “Before my Naib, I tell you that I love you, Alexi.  Go with Mick’N do not weaken me now. If you are here I cannot do what must be done for my mother or my House.”

When the argument was couched in such a manner neither could object.

~*~*~*~*~

Vlad may have been elated to see his sons but he was not about to relay that emotion.  He raged and demanded an explanation as to their belated appearance and they lack of reporting on Amasso.  “… and you appear in time to attend a Convocation of the Landsraad?! Explain yourselves!”

The two exchanged looks; this was not going to be easy.  Al Samoud fidgeted and gave a weak smile.

In an effort to steer his father’s wrath, Samir posed a question, “Any word from Thalmas?”

“The action at Mojave Electric was an unmitigated disaster.  Still a third of the Planet was plunged into darkness through no effort of his.  We remain on schedule for the next step.  Unlike you!” Vlad replied.  “I require a reason not to exile you both or even execute you.  SPEAK UP!”

--