Chapter 31

It is always disagreeable

when a person we consider our inferior likes or loathes the same things we do,

thereby becoming our equal.

Maxim Gorky - Harkonnen Dramatist

Valcyn curled up before his AVU. He was a hermit not a masochist - there was no reason for him not to have all the comforts of home.

The spokesperson for House Harkonnen was making a statement on behalf of two Great Houses: Harkonnen and Corrino. "The new Interplanetary Court of Justice should not expect any cooperation from Giedi Prime or Kaitian. The Houses have declared non-compliance and non-extradition. The prosecutors of the ICJ will not be given any information from the Governing Great Houses to help them bring cases against any of its citizens."

"Well there you go." Valcyn muttered. "Harkonnen mentality. Why cooperate when conflict is such fun?" He sipped his spiced coffee.

"If the prosecutor of the ICJ seeks to build a case against one of our citizens, then that prosecutor should build the case on his or her own effort and not be dependent or reliant upon Giedi Prime or Kaitian for information or cooperation."

There was more...

"Legal Counsel has indicated that we are not in contravention of any inter-planetary treaties that we are signatory too. This is a matter of National Security and in natural justice this takes precedence."

Valcyn was fascinated by the power play.

"We have issued diplomatic letters to fellow Great Houses soliciting their cooperation for immunity from the ICJ."

~*~*~*~*~

Dax and Arista were the only ones in the Chamber. Amasso was still on the mission for his mother and it had taken him off world. Mick'N was with Alexi and his father Duncan was prepping troops for the inevitable.

Arista switched off the AUV halfway through the statement from House Harkonnen and House Corrino on the ICJ. Then there was the infernal resolution 1441, which she threw down in disgust. She was getting a glimpse of what was to be, the House had to fall to be built up. She looked at her son as he studied her.

"Was überhaupt ist, seien Sie" he said.

She agreed.

~*~*~*~*~

Dax had three days before the leader of the Hazard Inspectors Dr. X'Ilb was due to present his fourth quarterly report to the Landsraad. He did a quick calculation – half a day travel to the Sietch, two days with Alexi, and half a day travel back. That gave him one day to spare.

He eagerly headed for the Sietch.

+ + +

Dax found Alexi in the gymnasium.

He froze for a myriad of reasons. First: She was practically naked and bathed in sweat and sparring with a fighting droid - a glistening prismoid dervish of blinking lights and razor sharp swords spitting out at unexpected moments from unexpected sources, some real, some illusory.

Second: She was beautiful in her athleticism. He could watch all day as she brilliantly parried the droid's thrusts, countering its moves gracefully, expertly. But each time she did... The droid increased speed and maneuverability, with its weapons emerging at a faster tempo.

This was no game. A misstep could be fatal. His grew anxious and edgy as he knew what a wrong move could result in.

The third reason was just as disturbing for as he watched he experienced another genetic memory. [SEVERAL TIMES ALIA WAS DRIVEN BACK...OFF BALANCE... HER DEFENSIVE MOVES BARELY KEEPING PACE WITH THE DROID'S ATTACK...UNTIL SHE FINALLY COUNTERED WITH AND EXTRAORDINARY DISPLAY OF ATHLETICISM AND FINESSE. SHE DODGED THE DROID'S TRUE WEAPONS, SLIPPING THROUGH THE COUNTERFEITS TO TOUCH THE KILL TARGET.