Chapter 34

Anytime things appear to be going better, you have overlooked something.

Murphy's Law

Like his father Dax had braced himself and dealt with the matter at hand. Leaving his father with the Fedaykin, Dax called a Sand Worm.

Sand Worms reared up obviously lurking just beyond the shield. Dax instructed them. "My mother and I will go with you." He pointed to the middle one. Immediately it bowed to allow them to mount.

His mother safely on the leviathan, Dax turned to the remaining worms that were bigger than the one he had chosen. They had to be for the task he had in mind.

"Great Makers. My father remains in there with brave Fedaykin. I need you to be here when they retreat. Carry them to me – you know where to find me."

He then joined his mother. As they sped away the remaining two worms lay in wait and Dax called he father on his communicator to tell him of the Gods awaiting House Atreides.

~*~*~*~*~

It had all boiled down to this. Amasso and the war crimes ploy that had not worked, the terrorists attacks that would never be traced to them, the fake report on the Thinking Machines - it had all brought them to this point. The chess game was soon to be over.

Vlad could barely contain his excitement and confidence. His namesake had lost this Planet and HE would be the one to restore glory to their House. The jockeying for position had been incessant; the slow investment of spies in the right place had been expensive, while the cultivation of cooperation between the two Houses -- never an easy thing had been achieved, together with the inexhaustible patience needed as each piece fell into place had all been for the retaking of Dune.

Now it was so close he could almost taste the victory.

~*~*~*~*~

The first wave of Sardaukar landed and the Fedaykin found themselves in an evenly matched battle. Explosions shook the ground and lasers flashed as the forces cut each other down. Personal shields clashed, as the battle got close enough for hand-to-hand combat.

Blood flowed like the rivers of Caladan and Sword Master Duncan was in the thick of it.

Above battle the Houses of the Landsraad hovered.

Then the fifth, sixth and seventh waves of Sardaukar landed and the Fedaykin found themselves beginning to be outmatched.

Duncan called for a retreat and eventually ordered a full pull out. The Fedaykin headed for the awaiting worms; and even with the Sardaukar in pursuit, they hesitated. Catching a ride on passing worm was one thing, climbing onto the back of one that was willing was something else while facing this multitude of Worms was intimidating.

Duncan roared, "Fedaykin! Mount!"

They did as ordered.

~*~*~*~*~

The prescience of the Atreides manifested as the mother and son perceived the unfolding events.

[DUNCAN ROARED, "FEDAYKIN! MOUNT!"

THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF RAN BETWEEN THE WORMS ENSURING THAT THEY ALL GOT ON BEFORE THE ENEMY FORCES ARRIVED.  A LASER TRAINED ON HIM AND A HOLE APPEARED.

THE TWO WORMS REARED UP WITH ALL BUT DUNCAN ON BOARD. ONE OF THEM SCOOPED UP THE BODY OF THE CONSORT SWALLOWED IT WHOLE AND RACED TOWARD DEEP DESERT. THE SARDAUKAR GAVE UP THE CHASE. DENIED THE BODY OF DUNCAN OR ANY PRISONERS OF WAR – THEY RETURNED TO THE PLACE TO OCCUPY THE COMPOUND.]

~*~*~*~*~

"If it ain't broke... don't fix it."

Ixian Philosophy

Using Ixian philosophy as a guide the Bene Gesserit set about procuring themselves the needed worms. The Princess Wensicia Corrino in the time of Maud'Dib had managed to get a worm off planet. Using thumpers a small worm had been summoned to a specific place of the kidnappers choosing. Once at the target site the system of trenches, which had been pre-dug, were flooded with water. The old cliché of "water and worm don't mix" was a true one and the conspirators had 'caged' themselves a Sand Worm of Dune. Once in place it was a matter of airlift and Guild Transport.

It had worked for Wensicia and her cronies. Twenty thousand years later... it worked for the Bene Gesserit.

~*~*~*~*~

The High Guard that governed the Spacing Guild convened an extra ordinary meeting. There were no names called here only numbers assigned.

"The erosion of the ozone layer on Planet Arakkis and others in the system is of no direct threat to us." Three said.

"This I concede. It, however, has the potential to be a threat to spice production and anything that threatens spice production threatens us." Said Five.

"When ozone in the ozone layer decreases by one percent, UV-B increases by one to two percent, the sand worms of Arakkis will not be able to withstand an increase over three percent." One pointed out.

Four added, "This increase in rumours of worms dying and tumours being seen on them must be monitored. Skin cancer is caused by radiation damage to the genetic structure of the epidermic cells."

"This is the reason that the Fremen will be the last to feel the effects. The caucasoid off-worlders are more liable to skin cancer than the negroid Fremen, who have more melanin pigment in their skin." One said.

"And what does this have to do with the price of spice!" Three demanded.

"Under the Treaty of Maud'Dib the Fremen have the exclusive rights to mine the spice. If they cannot withstand the changes in conditions no one else will be able to." Five explained.

"Not if the worms of Arakkis die first." One added.

"I do not like this." Three was concerned. They all were - the spice was under threat.

There was a pause in the conversation as the worst-case scenario played out in their minds.

One broke the silence. "We need to monitor the situation closely and act if required." There was a collective shudder as the modus opperandi of the Spacing Guild was not one of direct interference. They preferred to negotiate in the background. With the spice in jeopardy extraordinary actions may be called for.

The strategy was agreed.

~*~*~*~*~

An acolyte brought the message to the Mother Superior. It was simple – the most far-reaching messages usually were. Sasha read the one line from the Reverend Mother Mo'Hadin...

"The parcel has been posted."