Bonus Chapter: New Assignment *feat. Aust*

This chapter is dedicated to all the wonderful people who have read, commented, and (especially) to those who voted! Writing Ranger Rising has quickly exploded from a quick DnD inspired story of my Player Character's backstory to a full blown novel and adventure. I promised a special bonus chapter/oneshot once I hit 100 votes. Ranger Rising now has 131 votes and just over 700 reads at the time of me posting this. Please let this bonus chapter be a big fat thank you to everyone who's joined me on this journey so far and who will continue to travel this journey with me.

Love,

Francesca

Now without further ado, I give you the bonus chapter. A bit of a prologue to the story from Aust's perspective!

The hall hummed with restrained activity, save for the uproarious laughter of King Theodorick

The hall hummed with restrained activity, save for the uproarious laughter of King Theodorick. He sat on his impressive and intricately carved throne, dressed in a fine Elfin tailored day suit, and surrounded by Queen Isabella and a handful of his favorite courtiers. If I enjoyed a decent bet, I'd wager that His Majesty had just said something that he thought passed as a joke.

Gods help me. Let me get out of here quickly!

The longer I stayed here, the stronger my desire to melt back into the nearest grove of trees intensified.

Theodorick looked up and caught sight of me. "Look at what the cat dragged into my court, friends!" His Majesty called out, beckoning me close to his throne. "Hail Master Aust. What brings you back to Four Lakes so soon? And where's that stag of your's? Hope you didn't leave him somewhere my gamesmen and dogs frequent."

He and a few others laughed at what he clearly meant as a joke... a tasteless one. I approached the throne and dipped a deep bow to the King. Thanks to my Elfin heritage, my pressed lips and narrowed eyes were dismissed or mistaken for aloofness. Probably for the better.

Queen Isabella, I noticed, was one of those who didn't laugh. However, she had a harder time hiding her irritation behind a tight smile and clenched fists in her skirts. I raised a placating hand slightly before saying, "Your gamesmen and dogs will be disappointed to know that Dílis is in one of your stables. Perhaps next time."

Theodorick laughed again, clutching at his sides. "I am so glad that at least one of my Ranger's has a sense of humor. I shall ask again though, what brings you back to my throne room?"

I rose from the ground and pulled a letter from my belt. "I believe you have another job for me."

He blinked in confusion. Queen Isabella shifted on her throne. "The beast in the Harwood Barony darling," she reminded him sweetly.

"Ah yes, yes. Somewhere near Rivermouth..." Theodorick waved his hand through the air.

"Woodhearst, Sire," both the queen and I said at the same time.

"Right. They're all about the same anyways."

"Not truly Your Majesty," I told him firmly.

However, the king was already looking over at Queen Isabella. "My Queen, can I trust you to handle this? I'm busy discussing the border reinforcements at the Northern lines."