Part 15: Warnings to Heed

I made a straight line for the barn as soon as I got within sight of home. It surprised me that Aust didn't stop at the road that cut through the fields. He continued to follow me all the way to the barn. "Thank you Aust!" I called over my shoulder as I turned to go in. "I'll see you soon!"

"Lena wait!" Aust shouted after me.

"What is it?" I asked. My hand was curled around the old, weather beaten door.

"You saw that deer," he started.

"What was left of it you mean?"

Aust only nodded.

"It was kind of hard to miss once you saw it don't you think?"

"I hope, after seeing the beast's power first hand, that you have a better understanding of how dangerous this creature is."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Why do people think I don't understand how dangerous this thing is? Yes! I realize that this beast is massive and hungry."

"It's more than that. There are things that you don't know. Things that you can't know about this creature."

"Well, no offense but it kind of sounds like you're not entirely sure what this creature is either so maybe we're on equal footing as to what we don't and can't know."

"That's not what I mean," Aust told me in a clipped voice.

"Then what did you mean?" I pulled back.

Aust let out a deep sigh and shook his head. "I'm not... it's not something you need to worry about."

"Are you going to go follow the trail from the clearing? It's got to be fresh considering the deer hadn't decomposed or scavenged yet."

Aust's lips ticked upwards. "It was a lucky stumble across for more than one reason. I'd place the beast there only a handful of hours before us."

My breath caught in my throat. It had been that close? A lump formed in the back of my throat. The look on my face must have been very telling because Aust gave me a tight lipped look as he nodded.

"Now keep in mind that you've been trying to find that on your own."

I swallowed that lump and forced up courage.

"Then take me with you when you go out. You've already said that you think I'm talented. That I've picked up things quickly! I know you're not going to be here long and you can't teach me everything but you could at least get me started in the right direction."

"And what will you do after I leave?"

"I don't know but I'd figure that out later. Please, just take me with you!"

Aust and I stood there staring at each other for a long stretch of seconds, not saying anything. Part of me wanted to get down on my knees and beg him. However, I gripped the barn door until my knuckles turned white instead.

Finally, Aust shook his head. "I can't. I'm sorry."

Wood splinters caught in my palm as I squeezed the door even harder. The sudden sharp pain made me release it finally. I shook it out and rubbed it absentmindedly. "It's fine," I mumbled.

Honestly, I felt the furthest thing from. At this point, though, there wasn't much more I could do. I'd have to find some other way or time to convince Aust.

"Thank you..." I said after another long pause. "For bringing me home and for not— you know, when I was upset."

"It was nothing. I'll take my leave. I need to give a report to Mayor Terrin."