8 / home for christmas

after a few more weeks of recovery, Brian seemed to cheer up more. his face regained color, he started smiling more, and accepted food better. it warms my heart to see him get better. he picks up his guitar more often and plays some tunes. i'm sitting next to him as he hums a sweet melody when the doctor walks in.
"i have good news. you've been responding to treatment well and i can send you home right before the holidays" the doctor says with a smile. Brian gasps in relief.
"thank you so so much!" i say, jumping up and hugging the doctor. Brian beams from the bed, his eyes shimmer with happiness. i look at him and hug him.
"you're going home! you were fine! i told you!" i say into his shoulder. he sighs.
"thank you, love. thank you for sticking by me" he says. i nod.
"anything for you" i say. he blushes.
"anything?" he wiggles his eyebrows. i shove his shoulder lightly.
"oh shush" i say, smiling. i can't wait to take him home.
"Brian you'll still have to keep up the good diet and no bad habits like excessive drinking, smoking, and the like. you also have to keep taking your medication, which i'm sure y/n will enforce" the doctor says looking at me. i nod.
"of course" Brian says. "i'll do anything to stay healthy." i grip his hand.

****

Brian's eyes light up as he walks through the doorway. bright Christmas lights hang around the windowsill and a small tree laden with ornaments and lights hang. he giddily rummages through his bag for his camera and snaps photos of me and the lights. i giggle as he swoops me up in a big hug.
"i'm so glad to be home" he whispers. my heart jumps when he says he's home. he looks at me and plants a soft kiss on my forehead and runs to the couch. he falls on it and sighs. i walk over and hold his face in my hands. his cheeks warming under my palms.
"love of my life" i whisper and peck him softly on the lips. he giggles and kisses me back. we haven't kissed this passionately since before he got sick. it felt so amazing, i missed it so much. he stops and stares into my eyes, rubbing a calloused thumb on my cheek. i smile at him, love overflowing from my heart. he touches his forehead to mine, the lights of the tree glistening in my peripheral vision. i lie down next to him on the couch and we stay there in each other's arms staring at the ceiling. i don't bother making him tea because i know he won't drink it. we lie there and wait for the time to pass, savoring every second like it's our last. he looks over at the clock, it's 11:20 pm. i kiss his jawline softly and close my eyes, drowsiness overtaking them. he sees i'm falling asleep and pulls a blanket over me. i curl into him and he holds me.

****

my eyes flutter open to Brian humming a soft tune into his tape recorder. i stir and he stops. his outline sitting in front of the window, a soft glow of the sunrise behind him. his guitar sits in his lap.
"good morning, Bri" i say, my voice raspy from waking up. he chuckles.
"good morning, love" he says and kisses my hair. "sorry for waking you."
"it's fine. you should wake me up like that every morning. it's beautiful" i say. he smiles.
"i want to wake you up every morning" he says. i blush. every morning?
"well in order to do that, you'd have to be with me forever" i say.
"maybe i will."