14 / isolation

Queen and i fly back to London. our flight is long and boring. we loved America and didn't want to leave but it was for Brian's safety and ours. we arrive in Heathrow and the boys give Brian a long group hug and he weakly hugs back. i hug all the boys tightly and thank them for supporting us. Roger hugs Brian the longest out of the group. he pulls away and tries to hold back tears.
"you better get better, mate" Roger says his eyes glassy with tears. Brian hits his arm lightly.
"if you touch y/n i'm gonna run right out of that hospital bed and kick your ass" Brian says. we all start laughing. Brian and i leave and drive back to our apartment. we need one more night of normalcy until things go back to the way they were. we lie in bed and stare at each other.
"what if this is it? what if i don't get better?" Brian asks. i'm too scared to even think the worst.
"you'll be okay, Bri. they'll give you medicine and take good care of you. i promise. i'll give you your guitar and you can distract yourself and write music when i'm not there. you'll be fine" i say while caressing his cheek. he sighs.
"i'm scared i'll be too weak to write. or too weak to care" he says. i hold him close, not yet ready to lose him by my side.
"i'm gonna miss you" i say. he smiles and kisses my lips softly.
"i'll miss you too." the next day we head to the hospital, the familiar building brings back memories i blocked out a long time ago. Brian tenses up as we walk into the ER. the doctor greets us.
"Brian, i heard you're not doing too well. we got a call from New York saying your condition had gotten worse. has your fever gone down?" the doctor asks. i shake my head. he frowns and takes us to a private room.
"you already had the tests and the doctor in New York informed me that it's best for you to resume treatment here. i know this is going to be difficult to hear but it's for the best," he pauses, "Brian needs to be quarantined."
"what?" i say. Brian holds my hand.
"yes. i'm sorry but it's for his own well-being and just to make sure you don't get anything. we'll also have to isolate the other band members to make sure they're okay too. it's only for a few weeks at most and he should be fine" the doctor explains. my breath is lodged in my chest. my heart beats rapidly.
"y-you mean he's going to be alone?" i ask, my vision turning blurry from the tears threatening to escape my eyes. Brian places a hand on my cheek.
"i'll be okay, love. i've been on my own before" he says.
"but what will i do without you?" i ask, the tears now falling. he wipes one away with his thumb, his pale yellow tinted skin illuminated by the sunlight shining in through the window.
"i'll leave you two alone. i'll be back soon and we'll take him away" the doctor says as he leaves the room. Brian stares at me. i kiss him on the cheek and he smiles weakly.
"i'll always love you" i say. he nods and hugs me.
"i know. i will too" he replies. he holds me for a few minutes. i try to engrave the feeling of his body around mine into my brain, but i know it won't stay there forever. i kiss him softly on the lips for a few seconds, trying to regain the taste of him.
"you'll be okay" i say and pull away. we continue to hug as the doctor comes back in.
"it's time." the nurse comes and wheels Brian away. he looks at me and my heart aches as his eyes give me a look that's pleading and says 'i'm sorry.' he smiles softly and blows a kiss to me as he turns the corner. i wipe tears from my cheeks and the nurse comforts me as i cry and i know it won't be easy to be alone again.