5

Peter didn't eat much which just worried Tony and Steve even more, he left without saying anything and went to his room. He lay in bed again, staring at the dark ceiling with tears in his eyes rolling down his cheeks into the pillow.

He didn't want to sleep knowing that he'd have the same nightmare he had last time he slept, the same one he has nearly every night.

He ended up back on the roof staring up at the sky with his legs dangling over the edge. His spidey senses didn't go off telling him that someone was there until he saw him walk past.

"You alright kid?" Tony asked sitting next to him as Peter sat up.

"Yeah, I'm feeling great," Peter said sounding more sarcastically than it was meant to.

"Alright I get it. What's up?" Tony asked smiling slightly.

Peter didn't answer so Tony started talking again.

"Is it the nightmares?" Tony watched his face to see if it changed but it didn't. "I asked Friday how often you had them and she said almost every night you've been here."

"It doesn't matter," Peter said still looking at the sky.

"I know you come up here quite a lot, mostly at night."

"I'll go back if you wa..."

"No it's fine I don't mind. I just wanna know why? Because when you come up here you don't sleep that night."

"It doesn't matter."

"It's you're nightmares isn't it? Do you want to talk about them?"

"Not really." Peter was starting to get annoyed.

"That another thing you'll tell us when you're ready?"

"Or not at all," Peter sighed. "Why did you choose to foster me anyway? You've seen my file?"

"We saw you as you, not you're file like most people probably do. Because we believe that you're different than the boy in that file."

"Yeah sure. But you're probably just gonna end up like everyone else!" Peter snapped.

"And how's that?" Tony said calmly.

"Hurt me and then send me back making up some bullshit lie! Like everyone else has!"

"We're not going to do that. I promise you we won't send you away and we definitely won't hurt you," Tony said staying calm.

"Yeah, I've heard that before," Peter said standing up.

"What do I need to say to make you believe me?" Tony asked also standing up.

"Nothing because I won't believe it. I've been lied to and hurt too many times!" Peter said before realising everything he'd just said. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright kid," Tony said smiling at him. "You're okay, you're safe here."

"I'm sorry," Peter kept repeating over and over again.

"Calm down Peter," Tony said bring Peter away from the edge.

"Just leave me alone!" Peter shouted pulling away from Tony, still hyperventilating slightly.

"Peter I..."

"I don't care! Leave me alone!" Peter shouted with tears in his eyes, he didn't actually want him to leave.

"Alright. I'll be in the lab if you need me," Tony said before leaving not knowing what to do.

As soon as Tony closed the door Peter completely broke down crying he sat on the ground hugging his legs into his chest.