Chapter 29

When she walked out the door, Graham was standing in the shadow of the house, his arms folded across his chest. If she hadn't been looking for him, she probably wouldn't have seen him. He had some crazy skill that allowed him to blend in with his surroundings—no matter what those were.

    He looked up when she closed the door, buts he couldn't make out his expression. She must look like a bedraggled street urchin. Her hair was matted and falling loose, and the too big clothes hung on her body like flapping sails. They were, however, warm and fairly comfortable, and she was grateful to be dry.

    "You ready?" His voice was low and reserved.

    There was a certain kind of palpable silence that had settled between them. It was like a thick blanket that threatened to suffocate her. There were certain kinds of quiet that felt comfortable and natural, where you knew someone so well that words weren't necessary, but this wasn't that sort.

    Cassandra nodded, averting her gaze from his face. At the moment, she wanted nothing more than to crawl in a hole and get away from him. If only for a little while, that would give her peace to collect her thoughts, which had been rather betraying of late.

    "I have these for you." His voice came from startlingly near, and she gasped inadvertently, looking up quickly.

    He was directly in front of her, looking down at her expectantly. It took her an embarrassingly long moment to realize he was holding something out to her. She started suddenly and looked at what he was offering.

    It was a pair of shoes. They were obviously oversized and quite manly, but they would protect her feet from the rough ground. She looked up at him, unsure what to say.

    Bending, she slid her feet into them. To her confusion, however, they had buckles instead of laces, odd buckles. Frowning, she struggled with them for half a second before Graham's hands came into view. She pulled back as he effortlessly did up the buckles, and she found that, while her feet were still too small, they were fitted over her calf, so they wouldn't easily come off.

    She straightened and looked down at them curiously. Her feet looked so enormous. Looking up, she found Graham looking at her. His eyes were narrowed slightly as though he was studying her. She swallowed, suddenly feeling the intense return of the thick awkwardness that had surrounded them.

    Graham opened his mouth, and in her peripheral vision, she saw his hand move as though to take her arm or hand. For a moment, she thought he might do something to ease the atmosphere. She returned his gaze, catching her breath at the wild storminess of his eyes.

    "Let's go." He said abruptly.

    He walked past her without another word. He didn't even turn back to make sure she was following. For a moment, she considered staying here. The loneliness would be far more comforting than watching his broad back and walking for miles on end.

    Logic soon overtook her, however. She had no idea where she was and no clue how to get back to Fergus Manor. He was her only way out of here, and there was nothing she could do but scurry after him like a chick returning to its mother.

...........................

    Dusk was well upon them when the silhouette of large building appeared. Cassandra was just beginning to think she couldn't go one up one more rolling hill when she looked up and found herself staring at the colonial face of an old house. She looked at Graham, wondering if this place was their destination, but his broad back told her nothing.

    Not for the first time, he veered suddenly to the left, and she reluctantly followed. A house of that size would mean warm food and fires and a soft bed. She was exhausted, and though she wouldn't admit it, her legs were shaking, and breathing was becoming a bit of a task.