Epilogue

"Found him." Nickolas said, stepping into the drawing room.

Cassandra looked up sharply from her book. He'd missed her face more than he could say. Perhaps, Granger was right. Feelings made you weak, but Nickolas didn't care. He'd gotten so used to having her right next to him that not seeing her for almost a month had been pure torture.

With an adorable little gasp, Cassandra was on her feet, the book falling forgotten to the floor. Closing the distance between them, she threw her arms around his neck, flashing a dazzling smile before kissing him. Oh yes, he could get used to this husband business!
"When did you get back?" She breathed.

"Yesterday." He said. "I wanted to come here the moment we returned, but there was something in the village that required some attention."

"Granger?" Fear danced at the corners of her eyes.

He nodded curtly. "At the moment, it's nothing more than surveillance, but he's winding up to strike, and it's going to be big this time."

"But you found him? He's safe?" Cassandra bit her lip.

"The new Lord Antrucha is on his way back from India as we speak. He has company to keep him safe—company I trust. I've arranged to meet him as soon as his boat docks." He held her tightly.
"I'm coming with you this time." Cassandra said firmly, leaving no room for argument—not that he would argue, anyway.
"If you insist." He grinned. "Though I may require some. . .payment, Mrs. Donahaven."

She smirked. "We should tell Ethan and Lavinia. They might want to go to London to welcome him." She made no move to leave his arms.

"What did they think?" Nickolas said.

"Of our running off in the night to get married or of us not telling them?" She raised a brow.

"Yes." He laughed.

"They shook their heads, and Lavinia said we should have told them, but they weren't upset. It's not the way things are done among our 'set', but then again, I've never been one to conform. They laughed about it after the initial shock, but they're far too absorbed with baby Brodi to care." Cassandra said.

"You know, it's interesting to me that you, the one who care more abut such things, didn't have a 'proper' wedding." He rubbed the pad of his thumb across her cheek. "Does it bother you at all?"

"No." She smiled. "I don't care what people think. I got the real prize."
"I am dashingly handsome, and my incredible personality is unsurpassable." He shrugged. "It's all a part of being me."

She arched a brow. "Is that so?" He grinned and nodded. "Well, your ego certainly leaves much to be desired."

"Oh, you want me to build up my ego?" He widened his eyes innocently. "I agree. I'm far too humble."

Pressing her lips together, she whacked him in the chest and pushed out of his arms. Nickolas chuckled wickedly. He'd missed their banter the most—well, no, that was a lie. There was something else he'd missed much, much more.

Almost unaware of the eyes watching them, Nickolas playfully chased after her. If he was right—and he rarely wasn't—they wouldn't have another chance to be so carefree for a very, very long time. Granger was coming, and it was going to take more than the deaths of a few of his henchmen to stop him. The storm was reaching its head.

—————————————————————————————

Well, well, well. This was some adventure! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. I have a surprise I'm going to try to post later today (hopefully this afternoon) which will probably help you understand the ending. This is what I meant when I said the ending wouldn't be completely happy. I would never leave the main couple floating in the breezes of uncertainty about their relationship, but there are some things that can't be tied up in one—or even two books.

Until you hear from me again, happy reading!