Chapter 45

"He's a good man!" Cassandra flared, folding her arms against her chest as she glared at the other occupants in the room.

    "Cassandra, you can't mean that." Ethan said gently as though he were trying to calm her down which only proved to enrage her more. "He's the most feared man in England."

    "And your father was the biggest bastard in all England, but did that stop you from giving him a second chance?" She snapped. "Honestly, you haven't even talked to him yet, and I really won't care when you do. I don't need your permission to 'mean' something." She narrowed her eyes fiercely. "And when I say he's a good man, I mean it in every sense of the word. I mean I'm going to marry him."

    Charles groaned, putting his head in his hands, and Ethan threw his hands up in the air. A heavily pregnant Lavinia looked at her with big, concerned eyes. Her father remained silent.

    "Cassie," Lavinia said. "You've been through a lot. Why don't you give this a few days to calm down?"

    "You're right, Livy. I have been through a lot, but I wouldn't have come out on the other side if it wasn't for Nickolas, and I don't care what he was. I know who he is." Cassandra's voice turned almost pleading as though she could make her sister understand.

    They hadn't let her argue yesterday, because she'd needed rest. They'd sent Nickolas away and sent her to her room to rest. The plan had been to discuss it today—or that's what they'd told her. She knew they'd been hoping to put her off.

    The whole situation seemed to unnerve them. At some point during her disappearance, they'd gotten a note explaining that 'Graham McRoberts' was not who he'd said he was. It had gone on to inform them that if they didn't find her, her body would probably be found in a ditch somewhere, because he was the most notorious killer in the land.

    "You also would never have been in danger if it hadn't been for him. Besides, you can't let gratitude guide you. Yes, he's done a lot for you, but it's not enough to throw your life away for him!" Charles was exasperated. "He's an animal!"

    Cassandra got quickly to her feet. "He never wanted to put me in danger. All he ever wanted to do was make sure I was safe. He didn't care what happened to him. I'm not just grateful, Charles. I'm in love with him."

    Charles and Ethan stood up, too, looks of confusion and something close to outrage on their faces. "You—"

    "That's enough." Ezra Antrucha got slowly to his feet as well, looking around the room at the occupants. He looked the longest at Cassandra, his gaze steady and searching. "We all need to calm down."

    "Please, Father." Cassandra closed the distance between the two of them and took his hands in hers. "He'll be here soon, and you have to listen to him. It's vital!"

    Ezra opened his mouth just as a footman opened the door. Every eye in the room went to the uniformed man, and the tension was almost palpable.

    "Lord Fergus, there's a man at the door who says he must speak with Lord Antrucha. Urgently." The young man looked almost uncertain.

    "Insolent—" Charles began.

    "Please, see him to the study." Ezra interrupted.

    The footman nodded and slipped out of the room. Cassandra had no doubt that her reappearance was providing entertainment to the servants' lives. No doubt, it would be much discussed over the next several days.

    "The rest of you, I'm sure there are things you needs to see to. I'll take care of this." He turned to the door. "Cassandra, come with me."

    There was no room for objection in his voice, and Cassandra followed him without a word. It had been a long time since she felt like a child who needed scolding, but that's how she'd felt the whole day. For some reason, they didn't seem to trust her anymore.