A Goodbye for A Queen

April 1, 1995

Corpus Christi

On the day when Selena died, candlelight vigils and memorials were held throughout Texas and California. Tejano music station playing her music non-stop.

3,000 Selena fans held a vigil in Bayfront Plaza. During the event, it was announced that a public viewing of the casket would be held at the Bayfront Auditorium the following day.  Fans were lined up about a mile.

An hour before the doors opened, it was an open casket service.

Selena's Open Casket

Sleeping Beauty

About 30,000 to 40,000 fans passed by Selena's casket.

April 3, 1995

Six hundred guests mostly family members attended Selena's burial at Seaside Memorial Park, which was broadcast live by the Corpus Christi and San Antonio radio station without the consent of her family.

The weeks following her death, cars throughout Texas were seen with pictures of Selena painted on them.  April 28, a firework show,  the music was reworked to include "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" in her memory.

Selena Etc. boutiques became shrines to the singer as fans lefts balloons, flowers, pictures, and poems. The street murals of Selena were found across Texas after her death.

Months following her death, 12,000 people visiting her grave and the Days Inn motel where the shooting occurred

The singer became part of the Day of the Dead celebration. In 1997, Selena was commemorate with a museum and life sized bronze statue, Mirador de la Flor in Corpus Christi, which the fans visited,  flocked to her statue and murals, seeing them as a symbols of self - expression, self identity, unionism, religious expression, resistance, equality, liberation, passion optimism, possibility,  and encouragement and the hope of the poor. "